• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac preview icon not working with Adobe Illustrator .eps files

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac preview icon appears with .ai, .pdf , and .tiff files saved in Illustrator.  

Mac preview icon does appear woth .eps files.Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 8.04.48 AM.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Hello @James22655878232l,@RedDogCM 

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request you to try the steps shared in this Apple Community post and share your observations with us: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253307271?answerId=256463704022#256463704022

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: Mac preview icon does not appear with .eps files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @James22655878232l,@RedDogCM 

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request you to try the steps shared in this Apple Community post and share your observations with us: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253307271?answerId=256463704022#256463704022

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are glad to hear that!

Please feel free to reach out if you run into any issues or queries in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Monterey? I believe this is a common issue on Apple's end. It's something to do with Quicklooks not including EPS in the update. 

I was able to fix mine with the solution found in this Apple thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253307271 

Copied directly from user Kurthis:

1. Copy the "Illustrator.qlgenerator" from "/System/Library/QuickLook" to your desktop or any other folder you have read/write access to.
  2. Open "Illustrator.qlgenerator" by right clicking it and select "Show package contents".
  3. Open "Info.plist" in the "Contents" folder with a text editor.
  4. Find the line "<string>com.adobe.illustrator.ai-image</string>"
  5. Insert "<string>com.adobe.encapsulated-postscript</string>" below it with the same indentation and save the "Info.plist" file.
  6. Copy "Illustrator.qlgenerator" to "/Library/QuickLook"

If you did everything right, you should now have .EPS previews back again. That's a workaround until apple fixes it in the System/Library, hopefully soon.

*Personal note: When I did this I was confused at first cause I kept trying to copy back into the System folder I copied from. (it won't let you). You're copying into a different folder (the user one).

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, I wasn't sure if I did everything correctly but problem solved. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the community support help with this problem. I have used four or five generations of Macintosh computers and have had to transfer everything from one computer to the next so essentially I have lost track of who controls what files and folders in the systems folder. In fact, it appears that I'm locked out of several things especially modifying systems folders. I followed the instructions and was able to complete everything except for placing the new file into the library QuickLook folder. It would not allow me access and I could not figure out how to get access to that folder but I did discover that I had a second library folder associated with my hard drive and not so much with my computer, so I copied and paste the illustratorQL generator file as well as the other folders into the second library folder, restarted the computer, and all of my EPS file quickly had photo icons that were visible. Thank you so much for all your assistance with this problem. You’ve solved a big problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much absolutely worked. I did hear from one person that EPS format was being phased out

and to use the ai format when saving Illustrator files. The preview icon does show up on files saved in ai.

As to the reason EPS is being phased out I do not know.

Thanks to the ABOBE community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very interesting to hear. While I'm not too worried about vector files I create (I 99% save in .ai format), I see EPS files a lot with assets you find on stock websites. I know a lot of people will at some point have to deal with files in this way and EPS is still so prevalent, so I'm wondering how the landscape will look once this really happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Losing the previews for eps files is extraordinarily annoying and time consuming now. Why on earth did Adobe do this? PLEASE FIX THIS.  I've tried the work around suggested in the thread and I was not able to edit the library files because of permission issues. I'm not converting my eps files to ai as I need to send out eps files to various people. They have expressly asked for eps NOT ai's. WHY? PLEASE FIX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WHY? PLEASE FIX.

By @vickyg8495618

If you want to request a feature, please post to https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines