• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making zip head as 3D and export to obj. file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried making a ziphead for zippers in Illustrator 3D, but I can´t save alle part of the ziphead as an obj file.

Would be a big help making 3D fashion trim in Illustrator for use in CLO3D

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, you can't export an actual 3D object because that's not what is created via Illustrator's 3D Effect. Illustrator only produces a 2D approximation of the object (capable of simulating 3D behavior while the effect is live), and there is none of the "manufacturable" data that accompanies true 3D object (files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to import single pieces of the ziphead to CLO3D and put them together, but it´s too many files to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, it's a lot of files and probably not convenient. In that case usinga 3D application would be better. I tried it just to check out what is possible. For the real stuff I would also prefer a 3D app.

This is built from parts created in Illustrator. Assembled in Substance Stager.

Mac-SE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Maybe I should try Substance Stager if it´s better.

Thanks for Reply:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stager is mostly meant for assembling 3D objects into a scene. Not for building 3D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But would it be possible to build the zipper in Illustrator and collect it in sampler and when export it as one file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is possible. But I would probably only build a workflow that way when I need 3D just once in a while. Building the parts in Illustrator is so cumbersome and limited compared to a 3D application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You're right. It makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you only want sporadic use of 3D app maybe try Blender as its free. it's for visual work, but if you want to get into actual physical production then Rhino is a good App to try, great nodelling tools and as its has single purcahse (non subscription purchase) and also has a great fully functional trial period like 3 months or something crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tried blender, but takes some time to get used to. Haven't tried with Rhino, but could be an idea to try. Know someone who use it for furniture design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines