• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map editing required in Illusrator

New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have World Political Map that is in pdf format and very large in size may be because of a lot of shapes in it. I have attached it with the post. When I open it in Illustrator on my computer, it gets hanged and stops working may be because I don't have strong graphic card. I just it to be placed on artboard of size 10 feet wide and 5 feet hight.

If any one can do it, I will be thankful.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means you want to get an Illustrator file (.ai) based on the .pdf you provided?

Can be done, but if your machine cannot handle the .pdf file, it probably cannot handle the converted .ai version as well.

The main issue with those kinds of maps is the total number of anchor points, text objects and clipping masks. Your file contains 362597 paths with more than 5 million anchor points and about 35000 text objects. Apart from that, there are 3247 clipping masks.

In order to make your file easier to access, a lot of simplifying would be required. And that means a lot of work, not just saving to a different file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to enlarge it to the size of 10 feet wide and 5 feet high. I need it in illustrator or pdf format because I will then give it to the printing facility. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muhammad,

As I (mis)understand it, you have the right 2:1 proportion so you can just ask the printer to print it at the desired size.

Or, what happens if you just try to place the PDF as a link and then scale up to correspond to the desired Artboard size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

print companies here locally dont have powerful computers to handle such large files as I tried it my self but hanged. So I want if someone has powerful processor who can do it for me would be helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muhammad,

As I (mis)understood it, you (and they) can open the PDF in Acrobat with  no issues, and then just change the paper size in the print setup.

Have you tried that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the PDF file's properties it was created using Esri ArcMap 10.3. Very few applications can generate PDF files that are friendly to open and edit further. Adobe Illustrator can make such PDF files, but the trick is the application appends Illustrator data into the PDF. Other graphics applications don't do that. When their PDF files are opened in Adobe Illustrator the artwork can turn into a huge mess.

The file size isn't all that big (16MB). Unless you need to make additional edits to the map (such as fixing the really weird state borders in the United States part of the map) I would recommend just printing the PDF file as is. A shop doing large format printing work should be able to load the PDF into a RIP application. The artwork can be scaled up or down in size in the print output settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly telling you I want to add article circle and antartic circle both along with this. That is why I want it to edit little bit. Actually my aim is print it for school students and I want a much details as possible for them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can't you place it in a new file (linked, not embedded) and then just draw both those circles on top? Getting it printed might still be an issue though (either printing directly or producing a PDF). 

Where did you get it from? Just ask that person to include those objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines