• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge artboards from several .ai files into one .ai file?

Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received a lot of .ai files from a client, and I was wondering if it possible to merge these files as artboards in a single illustrator file, the files I have are not pdf-compatible, so I cannot use the merge function from acrobat.

I am using CS5, but perhaps it is also possible with CS4?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Spooky, @galynap43472327 I was just doing a write-up for the Merge file to Ai extension when I saw your post notification. This method provides a panel, offering many of the same options as the script method I posted above, but it seems to be a little more stable than the script. The quick guide is here and the extension can be installed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of.. you might ask in the scripting forum if there's a script that will do what you want... or how to write one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is no direct way of merging artboards from several .ai files into a single .ai file. But there is a circuitous way of achieving this:

1) In the source document, Show All & Unlock All (if applicable).

2) From the Layers panel flyout menu, choose 'Paste Remember Layers'.

3) If you have a single artboard in your source document, select all (Cmd-A). If you have multiple artboards, then navigate to an artboard & select all on the active artboard (Cmd-Opt-A). Copy into memory.

4) Go to your destination document & in an empty area of the canvas (away from other artboards), Paste.

5)  With your art still selected, draw an artboard of any size with the artboard tool (anywhere in the empty area of the canvas).

6)  From the Control Panel Presets dropdown, choose 'Fit to Selected Art' (same command is also there under Object > Artboards).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sitting with the same problem. Seven years later!

I have two Illustrator files with hundreds of the same size artboards which need to be merged into 1 file.

May I ask, for what reason are your files not PDF compatible? (Hoping to learn something here)

What about opening the files to be merged in Illustrator, then saving each file as a PDF compatible version?

Then opening in Adobe Acrobat to merge?

Have you tried that or would exporting as a compatible versions not be possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Juan_Coleman  schrieb

What about opening the files to be merged in Illustrator, then saving each file as a PDF compatible version?

Then opening in Adobe Acrobat to merge?

This will effectively make your file harder to edit in Illustrator.

PDF is not meant for editing.

Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open your first file in illustrator

2. Create, arrange, and name as many art boards as you need for your files

3. File > Place

4. Select all of the illustrator files you want to merge

5. Click the corners of the art boards in order to place your files

And you're good to go! This is the easiest way I have found to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are fantastic! This, at least for me, helped solve my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is old but for anyone else wondering:

1. Open your first file in illustrator

2. Create, arrange, and name as many art boards as you need for your files

3. File > Place

4. Select all of the illustrator files you want to merge

5. Click the corners of the art boards in order to place your files

And you're good to go! This is the easiest way I have found to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work, you can't select more than one file to place, at least not on a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

monicah12443134  schrieb

This doesn't work, you can't select more than one file to place, at least not on a mac.

Sure you can.

But placing the files is not the best way anyway, because when placing, you don't get the AI part of the file.

Please watch this about Illustrator files: How Illustrator saves files - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to place an illustrator file into another one is to save the one you want to place with "Create PDF compatible file" clicked on. So it's not a true AI file. Plus, you cannot select more than one file at a time to place, so if you have multiple pages ranging in the 100s, this proves to be cumbersome. There really should be a solution created by Adobe on this. I hope in the near future (fingers crossed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! this saved me tons of time, I would like to add this between 2 and 3 -> 1 st save your Ill and check "save each artboard to a sepreate file". then go to the ill fille you want to import into and start with #3 -> select place & navigate to the artboard you want select it to place. Your cursor will be loaded , then click on the new artborad you made and the content will appear there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does indeed work. To retain editing capabilities be sure to uncheck "Link to File" in the Place dialog box so that the placed artwork remains editable vector art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't make it remember layers or retain strokes. They all became expanded objects on the same layer. Any fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lane Sam  schrieb:

I can't make it remember layers or retain strokes. They all became expanded objects on the same layer. Any fixes?

Sounds like you have something that messes with your clipboard. Could be one of the items on the list here or something else https://www.vektorgarten.de/illu-tipps-workflow-2.html#copypaste 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the destination and source AI files separately. Select all within a source file, copy it and paste into the destination file. Repeat for each source file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wbravenboer You might find this helpful, its called Ai Merge, a script that will merge multiple Illustrator, EPS, SVG, PDF files together in a new file. I hope it helps!  https://youtu.be/RjMsA5OzKGc

I'll show you how to install and use this free script to merge multiple illustrator files into one new document. I've no doubt it will save you so much time, and after years of having to open, copy and paste several files I'm so pleased I found this. Download the Ai Merge script here: ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great however it doesn't seem to work with the latest release of AI...is there an updated script you know of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, just kinda buggy in that it works when it feels like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have found a suitable for me option.
1. Combine files in a single PDF with Acrobat. I used EPS files.

2. Open this file in Illustrator. While opening, choose "all pages" and uncheck the option "page as links" so you have editable images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spooky, @galynap43472327 I was just doing a write-up for the Merge file to Ai extension when I saw your post notification. This method provides a panel, offering many of the same options as the script method I posted above, but it seems to be a little more stable than the script. The quick guide is here and the extension can be installed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it out and it is so helpful!! It took a bunch of Artboards I had in separate AI files and merged them into one AI file. Just what I was looking for! Thank you for sharing 🙂 

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 3.44.09 PM.png

Out of curiosity, do you know what the purpose of it separating the layers into clip groups serves?

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 3.40.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to Scott Lewis who makes the extension and he responded on the clipping mask issue as follows;

"Adding the AI files into a clipping mask isn’t intentional. I am using a function internal to Illustrator’s extension API but don’t have any control over how it does the import. I’ll do a little digging to see if there is some way to modify how it does the import. There may be a way to remove the clipping mask after it is imported so I’ll take a look at that as well."

He did go on to mention that it might not be possible to resolve the issue but if successful he would include any solution in a future update. Fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines