• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Minus front not working, cant understand why

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly new to AI and there is a lot that confuses me.

Currently I am trying to hole punch my white paths through the black image underneathe. The reason I'm doing this is because the programe my artwork is going into needs to follow the paths, so the white area on my drawing needs to be transparent with no remaining paths or anchors.

defaulthmtan51rdqqu_0-1635956263002.png

defaulthmtan51rdqqu_2-1635956388556.png

This is what happens when I try to use the minus front feature :

defaulthmtan51rdqqu_1-1635956311038.png

It deletes random areas in the artwork and doesnt actually cut through in the areas I'm trying to...

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix it? I'm so stuck and have a deadline 😞

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because your white "paths" are strokes. They need to be closed shapes to work with the Minus Front.

Select all your white paths and Expand them to outlined shapes, then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To expand on Brad's suggestion, here's how I'd do it (there are always multiple ways):

1. Select all the white-stroked paths (select one, then choose Select > Same > Stroke Color)
  2. Choose Object > Path > Outline Stroke
  3. With all the results of #2 still selected, choose Object > Compound Path > Make
  4. Deselect
  5. Select all the black-filled paths (select one, then choose Select > Same > Fill Color)
  6. With all the results of #5 still selected, choose Object > Compound Path > Make
  7.  Select All (Ctrl/Cmd+A)
  8. Click the Minus Front button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines