Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Symbols/ glyphs When Pasting Thai Text from Excel to Adobe Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Recently, I am facing with this issue when trying to copy Thai sentence from Excel to Adobe illustrator.
After pasting it on Adobe illustrator, I found that there are some missing symbols as compared to the original text in Excel. 

Is this a known issue or constrain in Adobe illustator when it comes to handling Asian languages?
Thank you in advanced.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Hi @LG28403697rmne,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with missing symbols when copying Thai sentences from Excel to Adobe Illustrator.

This issue can occur due to different font compatibility in Excel and Illustrator. To resolve the issue, you can try copying the Thai sentence from Excel and pasting it into a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit and then copying it from the text editor and pasting it into Illustrator. This can help remove any formatting issues or unsupported f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the same font available in Illustrator that you have in Excel? Fonts can get installed just for Microsoft Office, so just to make sure that this didn't cause your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, I do have the same font installed and available in both Adovbe Illustrator and Excel.

Best regards,

Goo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @LG28403697rmne,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with missing symbols when copying Thai sentences from Excel to Adobe Illustrator.

This issue can occur due to different font compatibility in Excel and Illustrator. To resolve the issue, you can try copying the Thai sentence from Excel and pasting it into a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit and then copying it from the text editor and pasting it into Illustrator. This can help remove any formatting issues or unsupported fonts.

If the issue persists, please ensure that you have installed the Thai language pack in your operating system and that the font used in Excel is also installed in your system.

If you are still facing issues, please share the excel file & font with me here or via DM. So we can further investigate the issue.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  Mr.Anshul Saini,
Thank you so much for your helpful and prompt reply.

As per mentioned in your previous reply, copying the Thai language from Excel and pasting it into a text editor, then copying it from text editor to Illustrator can help remove any formatting issues or unsupported fonts.
This method works but I would like to know more details on why copying the Thai sentences into text editor helps to remove formatting issues or unsupporting fonts? Do you know the logic behind in your proposed solution ?

Thank you in advanced.
Goo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Goo,

I'm glad to hear that the solution I provided has helped in removing formatting issues or unsupported fonts when copying the Thai language from Excel and pasting it into Illustrator.

To answer your question, when you copy text from one application to another, the text often carries with it the formatting from the original application, including font, size, color, and other styling options. Sometimes, the font used in the original application may not be supported in the destination application, causing issues like incorrect display or missing characters.

When you copy the Thai sentences from Excel and paste them into a text editor like Notepad/TextEdit, the formatting and font information are stripped away, leaving only the plain text. Then, when you copy the plain text from the text editor and paste it into Illustrator, it adopts the default font of the text editor or the font of the text selected in Illustrator.

This method works because it removes any formatting issues or unsupported fonts that could cause problems when pasting into Illustrator. It ensures that the Thai text appears correctly in Illustrator and can be edited or stylized as needed.

I hope this explanation helps, but please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts can get installed just for Microsoft Office ...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, this does not work for me. I paste into TextEdit on Mac from a Thai web source; looks correct there. Then, I select it in TextEdit, paste into Illustraor and it's just a broken as it was pasting direct. See screenshot. Can't believe this happens. Serious work hinderance. Anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHat happens with a different font that has the necessary glyphs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika suggested, use a font that has the glyphs, I found a couple like Microsoft Sans Serif and Ayuthaya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the screenshot, this is an Adobe Thai font. And, as per the screenshot, the glyphs are there they just "break" as per OP.  You can see in TextEdit in the screenshot the pasted text is correct. Then, as described, it pastes incorrectly. Was just spednign an hour+ with Adobe, and they literlaly just shut down screen sharing and left the chat. Amazing. Thanks for chiming in, but this doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see many other fonts that work well in Illustrator (as far as I can judge).

You may post the problem here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-fonts/ct-p/ct-fonts?page=1&sort=latest_replies&lang=all&tabid=a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue isn't the font, it's that the formatting breaks specifically when pasting in Illustrator. It actually works fine pasting in Photoshop with the same font, but obviously Photoshop is not vector artwork, which is what is needed.

Thus, the "correct" answer here, "pasting it into a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit and then copying it from the text editor and pasting it into Illustrator," does not work for me, or no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @rpaulseymour,

I'm sorry to hear that the suggested solutions are not working for you. The behavior you are describing is indeed unusual. To further investigate the issue, could you please provide more details and share the following:

1. The AI file where you are experiencing the issue.
  2. A text file containing the Thai text that you are attempting to copy and paste.
  3. The website link or the source from where you are copying the Thai text.

Examining these files and sources might help in identifying any specific characteristics or formatting issues that could be causing the problem.

Feel free to share the information, and I'll do my best to assist you further.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines