• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mockup feature won't work (greyed out)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm trying to use the new Beta feature "Mockup" but it's greyed out. I've followed the same steps as someone in a youTube video but mine doesn't work.

Any ideas of what could be wrong? Image type etc?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug , Experiment , How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please discuss beta features in the beta channels. Either the online forum or the Slack channel. This thread will likely be deleted soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a link to that please? This support forum isn't the best to navigate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please apply for it at: https://www.adobeprerelease.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Not sure that's what I was after but appreciate the reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dead link, there is nothing there. says no programs available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here looking for same answer, how about being helpful instead of a gate keeper?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monica MacGeen  schrieb:

I came here looking for same answer, how about being helpful instead of a gate keeper?!

At the time of that post Mockup was a feature in beta software - and it was unclear as to whether that was allowed to be discussed in public or not. The link I posted then ist still working btw. 

Now (6 months later)  the feature is part of the released version.

So if you have a question about Mockup, then why don't you just ask it? Or just continue reading in this long thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the same person someone PM me about back in April when I was trying to trouble shoot an issue. You are just here to be a pain and not helpful at all.  reported!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typing "Mockup greyed out illustrator" and coming with this condescending answer on first page is really frustrating. Why wont people simply answer instead of polluting the web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps check the date of the discussion before posting your condescending remarks. The conversation has clearly run its course and is now locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make sure that both your mockup image and your graphic are selected first, then go to Object > Mockup > Make

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jess. Yeah tried different combos with transparency, selecting all, selecting separate layers etc etc. worked once and then never again.

Can not work it out. Yours is working okay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should all be on the same layer. Transparency shouldn't matter either (but could).
What file types are you using?
I've only tested it so far with jpegs and vectors and haven't run into this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried both jpg and png but same result. Tried to rasterise when it wasn't working but no change.

I'll try again with the next update. Thanks for getting back to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Question... From your screenshot, what type of file/asset is this? Have all of your attempts included a linked file?

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 6.35.29 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and mine shows "linked file" as shown in your screenshot.  I clicked and dragged my file (the base image I've tried jpg and png files, the top file I tried png files that I created using Illustrator) into illustrator.  Is there another way it should be done? or how can I fix it when it's already in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have a photo and then a vector artwork on top.

Please check out this video: https://youtu.be/daUFF0NdprM 

How to get the beta and some mockup photos and how to use the mockup function. What works and what doesn't work. Please do not use your original file with beta software (this applies to all beta software, not just Illustrator). Always make copies of your work. Save often. 0:00 Intro 0:13 Where to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have seen this video before but in the video all her files are already in the document.  My base file is a photo and the top file I've tried using a png and the ai version of the file, are those not considered vector files? Or am I bringing them into my artboard wrong and that's why it's saying "linked file" instead? If so, what's the proper way to bring them in other than click and drag them in from my Finder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The label can only be vector artwork. A placed PNG is not vector artwork. If the label artwork is in a different file, then you can copy it from there and paste into the file with the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I think I got it...I exported my file to an svg and it worked! Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, ill be the dumb one ......what file extension is a vector? I thought jpeg was vector. Photoshop does not save as or export svg. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG is a pixel-based image file format. Vector graphics consist of scalable outlines that are defined by coordinate anchor points and a path that connects them. Vectors can be scaled from sizes tiny to gigantic without any loss of quality. Basically it's a sort of digital version of connect the dots. I don't know if that's too old of a pop cultural reference. But it isn't pixels. Vector based artwork can be saved in a variety of formats, starting with Adobe Illustrator AI. Other formats include PDF, EPS, SVG, CDR, WMF, SWF, DWG, etc. There can be serious differences in capability and compatibility between the various types of vector formats.

Also, placing a JPEG image inside an Adobe Illustrator document will not automatically turn it into vector-based artwork. I still see that mistake on a regular basis from customer art files. A pixel-based image is a pixel-based image regardless of what file format or what file "container" is used to store it.

Photoshop actually can be used to create and export vector-based artwork. Traditionally vectors have been used in Photoshop to create clipping masks to isolate portions of photo images. Photoshop could do that before Layers were even a thing. The Pen Tool and other shape tools within Photoshop can be used to create Paths (which would be resident in the Paths Palette). You can generate Work Paths from selections. Vector art from Adobe Illustrator can be pasted into Photoshop as Paths, Shape Layers or Smart Objects. Any paths created can be saved in Photoshop PSD files or TIF images. It's even possible to save a copy of a Photoshop document in JPEG format and still have the Photoshop paths present when the JPEG file is re-opened (I wouldn't recommend this since JPEG is a lossy compressed format; it's better to use a lossless format like PSD or TIF for a work file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That was very well detailed and taught me quite a bit. It solved more than one issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@morph2jc  schrieb:

Ok, ill be the dumb one ......what file extension is a vector? 

If you select View > Outline view and there are lines outlining the complete artwork, then you have vector artwork. WHen just parts of it are showing those lines, the thing will not work in Mockup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines