• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Illustrator crashes every time I open a pdf?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I have been opening and editing pdf's in illustrator. For 2 days my app crashes every time I attempt it or freezes. What's going on? I updated, deleted and reinstalled the program in an attempt to rectify the problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

So I found out the problem, My graphics card was out of date.

I had to go into preferences in Illustrator, Click on "performance" and untick "GPU performance"

It is now working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this occur with a particular PDF or all PDFs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is occurring with multiple PDF's and one or two actual ai. files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And with eps. files now that I have tried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I found out the problem, My graphics card was out of date.

I had to go into preferences in Illustrator, Click on "performance" and untick "GPU performance"

It is now working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i haven't heard of that causing crashes so far. could you list your OS version, Illustrator version and graphics card for the reference of others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little late to the party, but that tricked saved my brand new MacBook with the latest Illustrator from crashing on opening two pdfs from a client. Thanks for your pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one of my pdfs are crashing my illustrator and I tried your method but my gpu tick box was already unchecked so sadly it didn't help my situtaion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there anything unusual about the PDF, such as large file size and/or very complex artwork? Does the PDF have any of the newer features and effects from Illustrator, such as free-form gradients? Was the PDF saved with Illustrator Editing Capability intact? Or was the PDF created by another application, such as one not made by Adobe? PDF files in general are not meant to be edited further and that's especially true for PDFs not generated by Adobe applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines