New Illustrator 2022 - How to create, edit and save my own materials

Advocate ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Looking at the brand new 3D materials in recent 2022 version, I am wondering how to create and save my own kind of materials for use in my  projects.

I can see that the materials files uses an extension called .sbsar, how to open or edit this kind of files?

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021
Hi Mario, Illustrator doesn't have this option as of now, however, we're working continuously to improve this feature in upcoming updates. Please feel free to share this feedback here and stay tuned for updates. Regards, Srishti

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*.sbsar translates to Substance Archive and is a material definition file containing all necessary Substance ingredients. These materials need to be created in Substance Painter/ Designer and can then be shared with other programs. Not sure, though, how it's supported in AI. I'm reasonably certain they intentionally created those flat default materials and the whole shebang would just crash with custom materials.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium, very clear explanation. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a button in the new 3D and Materials panel to add new materials.

It brings you to here:

https://substance3d.adobe.com/community-assets

You can download them and you can load them in the panel.

But my experience is, just like Mylenium predicted, that it crashes Illustrator when applied to a 3D object.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure Ton

I did that and for me it worked fine without crashing the app.

But my goal is create my own materials, so If I am not going to buy Substance app, I will not be able to create my own...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mario,

Illustrator doesn't have this option as of now, however, we're working continuously to improve this feature in upcoming updates.

Please feel free to share this feedback here and stay tuned for updates.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Srishti

I will do it later 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines