Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Newly created pattern does not appear in the swatch panel in any other file than its own

New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm new to illustrator and I can't seem to find an answer in any of the of the forums.

Here's how it is: I created a pattern (Object > Pattern > Make) successfully saved as pattern to swatch panel. Great.

Except, when I open up a new file to practice using the pattern, it's not in the swatch panel. I checked the settings and it said it was showing everything.

I go back to the original file that I used to make the pattern. According to the swatch panel, it is a pattern. Going from each file and the contents of the swatch panel changes. I can't figure out how to keep the pattern there. What's the point of creating a pattern if I can't put it on anything else.

If anyone has encountered this before, please help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019
The Swatches panel is associated to your working file. If you close the file withour saving, you will loose the new swatches. So, to see the new pattern somewhere else, you have to save the swatches set.Use Panel menu > Save Swatches Library as ASE (support file, Adobe Swatches) / Save Swatches Library as AI (Adobe Illustrator file).then you can add your pattern to any other artwork using Open Swatch Library option.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Swatches panel is associated to your working file. If you close the file withour saving, you will loose the new swatches. So, to see the new pattern somewhere else, you have to save the swatches set.

Use Panel menu > Save Swatches Library as ASE (support file, Adobe Swatches) / Save Swatches Library as AI (Adobe Illustrator file).

forum1.jpg

then you can add your pattern to any other artwork using Open Swatch Library option.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This did not work for me, still cannot find the swatch

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the opposite problem! I can see the swatches but not the original file, what do I do?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show please how it looks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines