• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newly created pattern does not appear in the swatch panel in any other file than its own

New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm new to illustrator and I can't seem to find an answer in any of the of the forums.

Here's how it is: I created a pattern (Object > Pattern > Make) successfully saved as pattern to swatch panel. Great.

Except, when I open up a new file to practice using the pattern, it's not in the swatch panel. I checked the settings and it said it was showing everything.

I go back to the original file that I used to make the pattern. According to the swatch panel, it is a pattern. Going from each file and the contents of the swatch panel changes. I can't figure out how to keep the pattern there. What's the point of creating a pattern if I can't put it on anything else.

If anyone has encountered this before, please help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

The Swatches panel is associated to your working file. If you close the file withour saving, you will loose the new swatches. So, to see the new pattern somewhere else, you have to save the swatches set.

Use Panel menu > Save Swatches Library as ASE (support file, Adobe Swatches) / Save Swatches Library as AI (Adobe Illustrator file).

forum1.jpg

then you can add your pattern to any other artwork using Open Swatch Library option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Swatches panel is associated to your working file. If you close the file withour saving, you will loose the new swatches. So, to see the new pattern somewhere else, you have to save the swatches set.

Use Panel menu > Save Swatches Library as ASE (support file, Adobe Swatches) / Save Swatches Library as AI (Adobe Illustrator file).

forum1.jpg

then you can add your pattern to any other artwork using Open Swatch Library option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me, still cannot find the swatch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too, even saved files don't show up in new docs as anything useful. A frustrating tool that doesn't seem to work to save time (I might as well redraw the pattern every time)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too, even saved files don't show up in new docs as anything useful. A frustrating tool that doesn't seem to work to save time (I might as well redraw the pattern every time)

By @Anthony28017997upqr

Patterns are included in the file you created them in. They are an actual part of the document, they don't exist without a document. That's how Illustrator works.

Now if we assume that all patterns you have created would be available in all new files, then this would probably blow them up considerably, which is not at all desirable. You can export them as libraries and then have those libraries open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I give you the answer that these so-called experts can't. open the panel that you want to use it in and then open the panel that has your pattern in. Simply click and drag it into the panel you want to use it in and drop it into the selected shape and boom there it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS should be the solution. Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the opposite problem! I can see the swatches but not the original file, what do I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show please how it looks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save it as an AI Library and it works. Not going to use patterns in the other apps so no point in using the ASE Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you seleck " Show All Swatches " .Screenshot (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This will only help if the pattern is in the file. The problem is that the pattern isn't in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines