Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

once I create outlines for a text,

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok when I create a text, then I click create outline for the text.  It is breaking the letters into seperate parts.  ex: T is broken up where every line crosses.  How can I connect them to make it just one solid T.  Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Print and publish , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you perhaps share an Illustrator file that contains your original type object and the broken result? Also, clarify what kind of Outline command you actually used.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, the construction of letterforms in a font will intersect, and creating outlines will inadvertently cause those broken parts.

You can try to fix it this way:

• Save your Illustrator file. That way, if things go wrong, you're just a command away from returning to the baseline
  • Get your Hollow Arrow/Direct Selection tool
  • Select each of the separate parts, away from the stroke of the forms or any anchor points. Use the shift key to select all the parts. Zoom into the character if need be, to make it easy to select each part
  • Go to your Pathfinder panel and select the Unite option to merge the multiple parts into one cohesive drawing of a letterform

Often, this will get you past your issue. If not — since you saved it before you started, right? — you can use the File>Revert menu command and all you will have lost is the time it took to conduct this experiment.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is to use the Shape Builder tool to combine the shapes.

Pathfinder can give inconsistent results when dealing with Compound Paths.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creating-shapes-shape-builder-tool.html

Before:

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1674159859874.png

After:

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1674159885697.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Oliver28018460mqej,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope the suggestions shared by Kurt, Randy, and Kevin helped answer your queries.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines