• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening files created in a newer version of Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2009 Apr 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use illustrator CS version 11, is there a way to open illustrator files saved and created in a newer version of illustrator?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

GregRobertson schrieb:

If you open it with Acrobat Pro, it will open as if it were a PDF. Then just go to File > Export > PostScript > Encapsulated PostScript. 

Please don't.It's an unnecessary step and it effectively ruins your file even more.

Create a new Illustrator file and place the other Ai file in it. That way you will be able to preserve some more of what's in the PDF part of the file.

Best solution is to ask the creator of the file for a downsaved version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't open a file created in a version of Illustrator later than the one you're using.

You can, however, have the file saved for an earlier version so that you could open it in CS.

In the Illustrator Options dialog box which appear while saving, there's a pulldown menu for Version. You can select Illustrator CS from there. This, of course, must be done on the machine with the newer version. If you don't have access to that you could ask whoever does to resave it for CS for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can or maybe can't open... depending on versions...  but there will be restrictions and maybe errors...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I should have said. If the newer file uses features that aren't available in CS then there will be problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2009 Apr 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the file in Acrobat Pro.

Then "Save As..." a PDF and open the PDF with Illustrator 11. It may or may not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love such tricks. Thanks Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great tip, thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open the file by placing it in a new document and then saving it as you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this worked, Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you can use https://cloudconvert.org/ it helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was great. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works. Thank u so much ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open it with Acrobat Pro, it will open as if it were a PDF. Then just go to File > Export > PostScript > Encapsulated PostScript.  As soon as you choose "Encapsulated PostScript," you will be offered a chance to Save As an .eps file. If you save it in the same file you stored or received it in, it will override the original .eps file as an older version that you can use.  Note that if the original file was an .ai document, it will still save it as an .eps, then you would just use your older Illustrator to save THAT file to override the original .ai document. 

Some .eps files may not export perfectly, especially if whomever created it used a lot of the most recent tools on it, but most of them will.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GregRobertson schrieb:

If you open it with Acrobat Pro, it will open as if it were a PDF. Then just go to File > Export > PostScript > Encapsulated PostScript. 

Please don't.It's an unnecessary step and it effectively ruins your file even more.

Create a new Illustrator file and place the other Ai file in it. That way you will be able to preserve some more of what's in the PDF part of the file.

Best solution is to ask the creator of the file for a downsaved version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  I right clicked on the .eps file and I selected "Convert to Adobe PDF".  Once opened I saved as PDF. 

I then opened the PDF in Illustrator (I'm still working on CS6) and it opened up with one error "An unknown shading type was encountered." I clicked OK and the file opened up just fine.

Hope you guys have the same luck as me.

Thank YOU [Scott]!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR,
Contact other Adobe Illustrator Users and initiate a class action law suit forcing Abobe to provide translation support for it's desktop versions.

Adobe should know that forcing customers to contact clients to ask them to downsave a file is often impossible, difficult, and or puts the desktop user in an uncomfortable posution.

In reality you'll usually have to find a friend and trouble them to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess when you take that case to a lawyer they might just ask you why you want to burn your money instead of just updating your software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

nice

jh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines