Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outline Stroke not working as expected

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator Version CS3 13.

I have a rectangular path with rounded corners.

It has a stroke aligned to the inside of the path.

I wish to outline the stroke.

I would normally do this by selecting the object with the Direct Selection Tool and clicking Object > Path > Outline Stroke.

However, when I do this the Outline Stroke created is on the outside of the original path and also does not have the rounded corners.

What am I doing wrong?

Before

stroked path.jpg

After

outlined stroked path.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try if Object > Flatten transparency does it correctly? You will need to check the option "Outline stroke"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great suggestion! I had a similar problem where Outline Stroke and or Expand options simply would not expand the stroke. Flatten Transparency solved the issue. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or menu: Object --> Expand Appearance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue also.  The strokes with round caps are flattened. I have tried Outline Stroke and Object/Expand. Both fail to produce the expected results.  Using Illustrator 24.1.2.  Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 2.47.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Flatten transparency work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but does anyone know why the other methods no longer work.  Thanks.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They usually still work, but sometimes they don't. This might depend on the file.

If you want to report it and get feedback from th developers, post it on http://illustrator.uservoice.com. Don't forget to upload your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to procuce the same incorrect outlines, based on either Outline Path and Expand. I even selected different instances of straight, rounded, and sqaure caps together, with or without stray anchor points (always a nice wrecker to test) to see if that caused any unexpected results. But all methods still work properly...

So there must be something else happening in your files.

Could you try creating a new sample, to verify whether it's a structural problem of your software version ? Or post a copy of your misbehaving file ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues as @thralthamidor:

And I believe it is a bug, or rare use case that hasn't been addressed properly.

I have a path, at a width of 24pt, and rounded caps. Both end anchors are not smoth, i.e. they have no handles. 
In that case: No matter if I apply Object/ Expand or Object/ Path/ Outline Stroke, the rounded caps will not be transformed to a correct shape.

One workaround is:
Reduce the line width of the path, until any of the expand/ transform to shape methods work properly and render the rounded caps properly. (In my case, I had to reduce the line width of the path to 20pt.)

Afterwards apply Object/ Path/ Offset Path by a half of the amount you needed to reduce the line width, in order to get the correct shape thickness. (In my case then, I had to offset the path by 2pt, i.e. 24 - 20 / 2 = 2)

Another one – not recommended one – is: 
Convert the end anchors/ point to smoth points with at least one handle. 

I don't recommend it, because there is no specific command that will do this without altering the design. So you need to do it manually to perserve the original design. 

Attached is a file for anyone of you to try, and for the Adobe developers to reproduce the bug and fix it.
@Peter Villevoye I understood you couldn't reproduce the bug. Maybe this file will enable you.

If the upload feature would actually work for ai. files, I could upload the file, but the interface tells me the mime type is incorrect. These developers... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload it to your Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox, Google Drive, OneCloud ... anything, unless it has pesky advertising) and post a link here. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the Devs or Product Managers from Adobe don't check these Forums?
I'm kind of tired to be spending hour after hour as product manager, researcher, bug reporter and begger to and for Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Path > Simplify with the default settings seems to correct it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. It alters the path/ shape with the default settings.
If you manually adjust the Path/ Simplify to match the original path and shape, Path/ Outlinke Stroke fails again.

(I'm working in types and logo design, so these details matter a lot.)

However, it may be useful in some cases, but you always need to be carefully and visually checking.

But I now found another workaround, which works great:

Make sure you have selected Scale Stroke & Effects in Transform and then scale up the path in question massively.
Apply Path/ Outlinke Stroke, and it most likely will work correctly.
Then scale down to original size again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines