• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outlined type adding a rasterized (?) shape

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background: Working in Illustrator and InDesign. Trying to link an Illustrator vector icon into Indesign, so that the final InDesign packaged file acts as a suitcase of all my client's assets. Right now I am just placing the vector artwork directly into InDesign but long-term that makes these elements less accessible for my client. They need to be linked to individual vector files, so they can be searchable and archived.

The final version of the InDesign file goes to the client and will be printed and used digitally (PDF). So it needs to look polished in both colorspaces.

Issue: I am outlining type (font is Tofino) and the problem occurs when I try to divide the outlined type with the shape behind it, so the letterforms are knocked out of the shape and you can see the background through them. This odd edge appears at the top of a few of the letterforms (R, A, N) and I can't for the life of me figure out why. (Image A)

I tried knocking these letters out of the shape with an opacity mask, but they do not alias well, even with Raster Effects Settings (Image B). 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

This would be a good candiate for using Knockout Group

Select your block and your text - group them. Select the text only and set its opacity to 0%

Select the group, and select the checkbox for Knockout Group in the Opacity panel.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.02.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.03.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.05.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT, LAST SENTENCE: I tried knocking these letters out of the shape with an opacity mask, but they do not alias well, even with the Illustrator Raster Effects Settings set to 300dpi and anti-aliasing turned on. (Image B).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This would be a good candiate for using Knockout Group

Select your block and your text - group them. Select the text only and set its opacity to 0%

Select the group, and select the checkbox for Knockout Group in the Opacity panel.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.02.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.03.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.05.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines