Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PANTONE COLOR- MISSING

Participant ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I would like to use this color Pantone / PMS Silver 10077 C, but I could not find it in pantone colors in Adobe Illustrator. Where could I get this swatch or how to solve it?

Thank you for any advice,

Petra

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

It will be hard to simulate a silver ink colour on a monitor or colour printer.

Any spot color ink would be ok as long as the correct name is given to the printing company.

The Pantone Color Manager may help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/pantone-solid-coated-missing/td-p/9384496

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Petra,

May I suggest a "better" way to get a nice silver?

Print on Chrome BOPP and use a white plate (primer plate) where the chrome is not to be seen. 

The reason is, any metallic ink is:

1. hard to find someone who has it in stock (meaning you might have to pay for a minimum quantity out of your on pocket)

2. expensive as heck

3. can be very toxic

Also,

4. You can "tint" the chrome with color so you can have multiple chrome/silver/metallic colors on one piece without having to build extra PMS plates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be hard to simulate a silver ink colour on a monitor or colour printer.

Any spot color ink would be ok as long as the correct name is given to the printing company.

The Pantone Color Manager may help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/pantone-solid-coated-missing/td-p/9384496

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Petra,

May I suggest a "better" way to get a nice silver?

Print on Chrome BOPP and use a white plate (primer plate) where the chrome is not to be seen. 

The reason is, any metallic ink is:

1. hard to find someone who has it in stock (meaning you might have to pay for a minimum quantity out of your on pocket)

2. expensive as heck

3. can be very toxic

Also,

4. You can "tint" the chrome with color so you can have multiple chrome/silver/metallic colors on one piece without having to build extra PMS plates. Think blue lightning...

5. The only other way I know to put silver down is with silver "leaf" or a hot/cold stamp process. This process is top of the line, but requires an entire second printer (Industrial Press). Adding another process = prep hours = $$$$.

Feel free to answer with questions about how to prepare that kind of file if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i m nearlly at 2020 and still missing Pantone colors are an issue at Adobes App.

is there any now answer of fixing this problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to update the Pantone libraries using the Pantone color manager software from Pantone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive heard that Adobe has some solution - Adobe Extension. what is that and how it works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extensions are basically plugins. They are sold (some rare ones are free: https://exchange.adobe.com/ )

I wouldn't put much hope in this, because Pantone earns money with them and holds the copyrights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

should'nt it be Adobe resposebility?

why do i gave to pay if im already paying yearlly rent?

isnt it somthing that should become bilt with the APP and be updated along with Pantone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use the Pantone Color Manager.

Pantone is responsible for updating their libraries and they do it with the Pantone Color Manager.

You may use a tryout version:

https://www.pantone.com/help/?t=activating-PANTONE-Color-Manager-in-%27trial-mode%27

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has provided Pantone colors in their programs since their beginning. I literally have hundreds of files specifying pantone colors. Now Adobe has dropped them and Pantone wants $100 a year to subscribe. That is on top of what we pay Adobe.  Very unhappy with both Pantone and Adobe for not reaching agreement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is still one version that you can download that has the libraries.

Install an older version of Illustrator: 2023 (27.0), this is the last version that has the old Pantone Color books.

In the Creative Cloud app select Apps > All Apps > Illustrator > click the 3 dots …  next to the Open button >  click Other Versions and select 27.0

Go the Illustrator 2023 Application folder > Presets > (your language folder) > Swatches > Color Books > and make a copy of PANTONE+ Solid Coated.acb and PANTONE+ Solid Uncoated.acb 

Keep them in a safe place and copy them to the same location in the Illustrator 2024 application folder.

If you have a Photoshop license, you can install Photoshop 22.2.

Then, open Photoshop 2021 Application folder > Presets > Color Books and you will find the PANTONE color books, so copy it to Illustrator's Color Books folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines