Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pantone to CMYK colours

Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've chosen the following navy colour from the Pantone solid to process guide (coated) booklet:

Pantone 295C

C: 100

M: 57

Y: 0

K: 40

When viewed in the booklet the CMYK equivalent is close in colour to the Pantone but when I view the two colour formulas side-by-side in Illustrator they're very different.

I don't know if this is just my screen but I just wondered can someone test this out for me and see if they're experiencing the same thing?

Would appreciate any advice.

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are not supposed to match. you can't reproduce pantone colors with process printing, the formula is trying to give you the closest match it can to the pantone. but also this is to be compared in print not on screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. So even though the onscreen CMYK version of the pantone colour appears lighter than the printed swatch, the darker CMYK printed swatch will be the shade that is printed - is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that depends on how your screen is calibrated and also how your printer is set up. to get close to exact print preview you need to have it professionally calibrated. you also have to acount for the color and type of paper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks for the advice. I think I'll need to consult my commercial printer as they will be printing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You probably got a very old book.

Check the Pantone website or use the Pantone color bridge or use Illustrator's Lab > CMYK translation.

They will probably give you all different colors, which is fine since the spot ink cannot be correctly converted to process inks.

So the best advice (as you said) is to consult your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines