• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parts of SVGs missing when uploading to Cricut Design Space

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an SVG (attached) in illustrator that is intended to be used as part of a set of cutting files for use on things like Cricut. I have never used Cricut before so I wanted to make sure my SVG would upload to their Cricut Design Space (CDS) program correctly. When I uploaded the file into CDS, parts of the SVG were missing (image attached). Everything was made using compound paths and there are no patterns or gradients anywhere, just solid fills. The two upper left clovers are just the outlines and have no issues showing up in CDS, but the other four clovers are missing the fill in the bottom righthand leaf of each one. The compound paths are created for each like shape/color, so the bottom center clover, for example, is one complete compound path layer in illustrator (attached image of the layers panel for reference). This is why it's so weird to me that just the bottom right leaf is missing on each of those four: the leaves aren't even separated layers, so why just one missing? I contacted Cricut support and they ran into the same problem when they tried it and didn't have a solution for me and I haven't been able to find anything online about how to address a problem like this.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this issue? Any insight is appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest you try to scale up the artwork and export with higher decimal precision. The SVG code itself looks just fine, but the values are all tiny since they are based on your small canvas, so this may cause soem weird math problem somewhere.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply! I scaled up at various increments, even going all the way to an artboard at 100x100in and the artwork at 80in wide and increased the decimal precision as high as it would let me (5) and the same thing is still happening when trying to put it in CDS (svg and screenshot attached; for simplicity did it with just one clover). The AI file with the clover is attached, too, if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those items are all compound paths in the Layers panel?

Which fill rule is applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding! Yes, each of the items in the layers panel is a compound path. The fill rule was defaulted to nonzero winding, and I tried saving a version with it as even-odd, but the same issue was still happening. In all honesty, I'd never heard of fill rule before now and I don't really understand it. I did a quick search and saw that there was a way to try a different rule so I figured it couldn't hurt to test it out, though it didn't ultimately do anything to fix this particular issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a situation like this I would always go for non-zero.

Have you chacked if the paths are closed?

And also: can you undo the compound path and check if there are duplicate paths in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paths are definitely closed. I released the compound paths on both the outlines and the fill sections and none of them had duplicate paths in them.

However, I randomly tried something that seems kinda redundant but seemed to work anyway? I released the compound paths on the fill area of the clover (the light green section of the clover) which broke it down into 9 total paths: 1 for each leaf, 1 for each curved line in the middle of each leaf, and 1 for the stem. Then, while selected on all of those paths, I used the shape builder tool to "add" to the shape (just clicking each leaf and the stem while the tool had the + sign visible). This just added an additional version of each of the curved lines (so 4 paths added in total). I deleted each of these now redundant paths then selected all of the remaining paths (ie, the ones that were there originally) and made it a compound path. When I saved this version of the file as an SVG and opened it in CDS, the clover looked exactly as it was supposed to with all areas filled in.

I'm not sure why this worked. I basically made duplicate paths just to immediately delete them and somehow this fixed the issue. Not sure what to make of that! I'm happy my files are showing up properly in CDS now, at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reply is from me! I was logged into a different account at the time I wrote the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you could solve it and thank you for the added information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all your layers unlocked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, they were all unlocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines