Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pattern Swatches

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to make a swatch out of the first attachment that will be filled by that pattern when I fill a shape with it.

I made the pattern a compound path, and dragged into the swatches panel.

Sometimes it works perfectly. However, most of the time it fills the shape with an awkward version of it where the pattern doesn't look seamless. Please see second attachment.

How can I make a swatch out of this that fills whatever I want with this pattern seamlessly? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 10.19.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 10.19.56 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Try it the old fashioned way

Draw a square

Use the Pen tool and  draw a  line  from one corner Anchor point  to the opposite,

Hit escape key or p to start a new line.

Draw in the second line corner to corner

Select just the square, and make sure it now  has no stroke or fill ,right click    Arrange > Send to back

select everything Object > pattern > make

like above

just  make one X inside a Square ( remove stroke and  fill  of the square and send the square  to the back)  and then select all

Object > pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a "pattern edit mode" to help you build seamless pattern. Without using it you need to created a rectangle behind your artwork and size it so the overlaying artwork lines up on the top/bottom and left/right edges. Then drag both the rectangle (no fill/stroke) along with the artwork, into the Swatch Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but even after trying that I'm still getting the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bf,

As I (mis)understand it, you need to create the pattern in such a way that the left/right and top/bottom edges of neighbouring instances continue seamlessly when abutted.

The right edge seems to follow the intersections of lines whereas the left edge seems to follow the middle of (cut) lines, and that seems to correspond to the strangeness in the second attachment.

If all edges follow the intersections (cutting through the middle of each) things should fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try it the old fashioned way

Draw a square

Use the Pen tool and  draw a  line  from one corner Anchor point  to the opposite,

Hit escape key or p to start a new line.

Draw in the second line corner to corner

Select just the square, and make sure it now  has no stroke or fill ,right click    Arrange > Send to back

select everything Object > pattern > make

like above

just  make one X inside a Square ( remove stroke and  fill  of the square and send the square  to the back)  and then select all

Object > pattern > make

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or make a pattern from a square and rotate only the pattern in the objects.

pattern.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or rotate the square and use the Patten maker to create a rotated pattern.

Rotated.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have two good answers. I thought I would show you with ruler guides why yours failed. In your example, it simply repeats this long pattern until it reaches the right edge, and then it matches it up with the left edge. You can see that there is no seamless match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines