Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Patterns not cropped by shape?

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is there a way to have a fill pattern extend beyond the borders of a shape that completes the default pattern? If I had a pattern of dots, is there a way for me to fill a square with the dots that don't crop the dots but completes the pattern outside of the borders of the square. I want only whole dots, not partial dots.

The pattern of dots is just an example to help explain the problem, not the actual pattern I would like to have extend beyond the borders of a shape for one more cycle of the pattern.

Thanks,

W. Brown

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

If I'm understanding what you want to do, try the following:

1. Add your pattern to a rectangle.
  2. Manually trace in and out of the dots with your Pen tool.
  3. Add the Pattern to your new shape.

By default, your dot pattern should line up perfectly with the dots in the original rectangle, so no dot will be cropped.

See attached.

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 6.50.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

I've described a workflow without manual erasing here:

Vektorgarten - Pathfinder-Special

You can also try the plugin Phantams with its Vector halftone function. For dots and other simple one-color shapes it will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lease post an example of what you want to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how a "Seamless" pattern works. The cropped element is duplicated, in-line, on the opposing edge of the pattern so it appears to repeat seamlessly.

If you want to avoid this you MAY be able to create a pattern with not overlapping shapes, then rotate the pattern only within the filled object, in Illustrator. This can be done either by option+clicking with the "Rotate" tool and turning checking the appropriate box or by holding "~" while rotating the selected object with the "Rotate" tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding what you want to do, try the following:

1. Add your pattern to a rectangle.
  2. Manually trace in and out of the dots with your Pen tool.
  3. Add the Pattern to your new shape.

By default, your dot pattern should line up perfectly with the dots in the original rectangle, so no dot will be cropped.

See attached.

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 6.50.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to expand the object afterwards so the dots don't move within the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can manually modify the shape to complete or delete parts of the pattern.

Blob brush to add and Eraser to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've described a workflow without manual erasing here:

Vektorgarten - Pathfinder-Special

You can also try the plugin Phantams with its Vector halftone function. For dots and other simple one-color shapes it will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was very helpful. I didn't realize you could expand a pattern within a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff Witchel, I know of several work arounds I was just hoping there was a way to do so automatically. I have a few complex patterns so it would be nice if this was a toggle or option. I’m sorry Monika I would have uploaded an example but the forum would not let me.

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines