Exit

Patterns not showing upon Export as PDF

Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Mac OS Catalina, Adobe CC (latest)

I have an artwork for a book cover which I use AI's native pattern swatch (Hatching). If I export the artwork as a vector file such as PDF or SVG, the patterns are gone, whilst the pattern retains if I export the artwork as a raster image such as JPEG or PNG. I never really had this problem prior, could you help?

Exporting as PNG (retains pattern):

Cov3_3x.png

Exporting as PDF (see attached PDF file)

Thank you for any advice.

TOPICS
Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

The hatching is indeed in the PDF, but you've changed the colour mode to RGB for some reason (your file is CMYK and you're going to print, there is no need for that). You've applied a hatching pattern that is actually Black strokes and you used the Lighten transparency mode to turn them White. This really isn't the way to do this. This will NOT show in RGB mode – The Lighten mode looks at the Black strokes and correctly determines it is not lighter than the colour behind it so "nothing" happens)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

your "pattern" constists of lines that do not have a stroke. They only have a fill. 

Since they are striaght lines, this fill cannot be visible. Illustrator shows it, because that's how it shows things, but actually your lines would be invisible. You need to make them as strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are indeed no patterns in the PDF.

Can you share the PDF with Illustrator editing capability checked (or share the .ai file)?

CC filesharing, dropbox, Google, WeTransfer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton,

When I use "Save as" to PDF with Illustrator editing capability checked, the PDF does show the pattern correctly; however since I am placing the file to InDesign for a publication, when I use Export Book to PDF function in InDesign the pattern disappears again.

In anycase, here's the .AI file via Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nf4l2jjyl19mkyk/AACS9z3kLSv-768W5cM1jZW0a?dl=0

Much appreciate for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, see what Brad has to say abot your problem.

You can also select all objects with the pattern fill and use Recolor Artwork to change the black into white. It will automatically save a new modified version of your pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear it is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hatching is indeed in the PDF, but you've changed the colour mode to RGB for some reason (your file is CMYK and you're going to print, there is no need for that). You've applied a hatching pattern that is actually Black strokes and you used the Lighten transparency mode to turn them White. This really isn't the way to do this. This will NOT show in RGB mode – The Lighten mode looks at the Black strokes and correctly determines it is not lighter than the colour behind it so "nothing" happens)

How to fix? EDIT your pattern: Double Click on your pattern swatch which opens the Pattern Edit window and change the strokes from Black to White. Close the Pattern Edit window and everything should be fine. In fact you don't need to use Lighten mode anymore.. change that to Normal.

(Hint: in Pattern Edit mode, If you want you can "Save a Copy" and call it e.g. Hatching White, should you not want to overwrite the existing Black pattern)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad!

Thank you so much and apologies the for late reply. Your explanations and steps were clear and concise, super awesome!

I exported to RGB for sending drafts to clients who will view the file on their screens, no reason otherwise. And the date was intended to be 2021 as the book is a summary of previous year's findings, but I appreciate the warning. Thank you again Brad, have a lovely day!

- Wut S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy trails!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if this is a project for an upcoming date, note you still have 2021 in your date!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody.

I made this file with a basic line pattern that doesn't show up when I save it into Pdf. Pattern appears when I open PDF file whit AI but not in the PDf. Is a CMYK file for print.

Does anyone can help me? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

your "pattern" constists of lines that do not have a stroke. They only have a fill. 

Since they are striaght lines, this fill cannot be visible. Illustrator shows it, because that's how it shows things, but actually your lines would be invisible. You need to make them as strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines