• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place semi transparent bitmap image as guide

New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to import bitmap, and make it semi transparent to act as a guide for objects below.

(Long description)

I like to mock up ideas in photoshop, then use illustrator for the final version.

I want to place objects in illustrator, so they are the same as the photoshop version, so would like a semi transparent bitmap layer at the top of illustrator, set to semi transparent, then place all my illustrator objects below and use the top semi transparent layer as a guide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

You can use the Appearance panel to control the transparency of any object. If it is not already in your open panels, go to Window -> Appearance. From there you can also use Blending options to affect the place image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

Remember to lock the guide image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the File> Place... Command in Illustrator to place the actual PSD file rather than a bit map. You can check the show import options box in Illustrator when placing the image to using things like Layer Comps you have made in Photoshop. Once placed Just double click the layer and Check the box that says template. This will lock the layer and dim it all at once. Draw on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you want it semi-transparent and on top of the Illustrator objects?

Having it not transparent and at the bottom will work faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replies saying how to get the image in, I know this already, I want to know how to make it semi transparent.

I am not tracing over the top of it, I am placing objects and text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Appearance panel to control the transparency of any object. If it is not already in your open panels, go to Window -> Appearance. From there you can also use Blending options to affect the place image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

Just select the image, then in the Transparency palette set the Opacity to a suitable value depending on the desired level of transparency (you can start with 50% and go up for denser image or the opposite).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also place the image on a layer and use the Layer Options to dim the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines