• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing ONE image in AI results in multiple images of the same file...

Engaged ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Driving me crazy... Is this a documented bug? Or do I have my prefs all messed up? 

I place an image file (png, tif, jpg) then save and close the file. When I open it again there are multiple instances of the same file all over the document, sometimes just stacked on top of each other, sometimes on different layers and at different sizes. Then when I reopen the document I have to delete all the dupes.

Just started a few days ago, after I uninstalled the older versions of AI. At first I thought it was an issue with a corrupted file but I can't seem to find anything. In general, AI files are saving slowly and moving around in them is slow and I'm seeing the beachball of death pretty often. (Therefore saving, and waiting a lot!!) Usually I wait it out and it doesn't crash. 

I can't share screen shots because it's content that I'm not allowed to share...

AI 26.5, MacOS 12.5.1 on a 2019 16 inch MBP. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dDembicki,

have you tried to reset your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet, because I'm on deadline. End of day, get this stuff out and then I can mess around with prefs etc. 

I did however notice that the worst of it comes when there is more than one AI file open. totally weird. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dDembicki,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request you try resetting Illustrator's preferences as suggested by GiavVitulano by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. Reset the preference, no change in behavior. I do sometimes get an error message about a placed file (uninformative screenshot attached). It's a PSD file, maybe there's something about the way it's saved that is messing things up? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wanted to follow up on this... resetting prefs did not change the behavior. However, once I updated to AI 2023 it stopped happening. My guess is that it was some kind of bug, obscure operator error that I just hadn't run across yet, or maybe a conflict with the corporate setup of the machine (mac). Others on my team experienced the same thing. So, no definitive solution, but it went away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines