• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PLEASE PLEASE adobe. The new pencil tool has become unusuble to me

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the dramatic subject but this is true, for me. but the pencil tool is my most used tool for my work.

I've used it for many many years and its the basis of everything I do in Illustrator which i use 99% of my work. (i havent even touched the pen tool for many years)

When I saw it was updated I was happy it finally got some attention and decided to give it a try.

Now I'm devastated to see the direction it's taken

I've used the pencil tool on the lowest fidelity 0.5px smoothness 0% setting for many many years.

So that when I draw the result I want is almost exactly what my hand draws and not a smoothed/math generated path.

In the new pencil tool settings the lowest "accurate" preset its still very smooth and controling and gives an output that is not at all something i can use.

Actually I cant draw anything in the style desired with it. Its like it has its own life and decides the outcome of what i draw. This is because of the few anchor points and smoothness.

Not all artists wants their drawings to have that smoothed perfect rounded edge with few anchor points.

Im sure many will like it and its good its there for them but this cripples illustrator to a forced style not everybody wants.

Why lock down the pencil tool to such few and controling presets???

The "accurate" needs to be more sensitive to the hand movement or bring back the old settings.

For example the lowest setting in earlier version was fidelity 0.5px smoothing 0%.

This is more accurate to what you actually draw. Why cant this also exist?!?!

For example when im trying to draw the silhouette of an eye or head shape as accurate as I can, when im done drawing and release my wacom pen cursor i get an roundish smooth blob now that doesnt look and feel as i want. Starting to adjust this shape with other tools is very time consuming and doesnt even then produce my desired result and above all doesnt feel like drawing. Feels like im plotting stuff around.

I need to be able to set the presets to finer detail so that i get many anchor points like before which give the possibility to draw in detail and make "turns" with the pencil that make corners, rugged edges etc.

I know I can continue to use my cs4 version but some day that could be too old for the modern technology coming and it feels now that for me illustrator has been given a death sentence, in my case.

Sorry again for being so dramatic and long in my writing but its really a disaster for illustrators who want to draw in illustrator and have it as accurate as possible to the hand.

Finding another way of drawing my illustrations is pretty nuts after all these years invested with illustrator.

Please Adobe can you fix this? save the pencil tool in this regard.

I dont know how but Im willing to help in any way I can as this is very important to me.

PS the removal of the handy smooth tool shortcut is also a very cumbersome remake. There is already and open discussion about this http://forums.adobe.com/message/6032965#6032965

(This is for the illustrator 17.1 update. I use 15" macbook pro retina computer with wacom cintiq 13hd drawing tablet)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have daily reviews of vector files and i have to Add, remove and reset the besier curves as a daily task. This is horible to work with,

By @Reflective Berlin

Are you sure you are talking about the pencil tool?

Also: There hasn't been a change to the behaviour of the pen tool in 6 years.

Please create a new thread and describe exactly what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Monika Gause

And that is the problem ! Since 2014 plenty users( in this post) want the old pencil tool back. It was perfect and easily customisable for the needs of each user. This new version sucks. Really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Monika Gause

And that is the problem ! Since 2014 plenty users( in this post)

By @TomaD

If you want something to change, don't tell it in the forum. Tell it on Uservoice.

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2024 Oct 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I'm desperate. Can't work and I have deadlines. Trying all sorts of work arounds with no solutions. Adobe, allow us to switch off this shape-manupulating-smoothing.  Not eveytinig is a curve, or a straight line. Some things are both. This is a serios loss of detail and speciality for me.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2024 Oct 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @bev_8259,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Our team is aware of the problem with smoothing and is currently investigating it. I will update this thread as I have more info.

As a workaround, would you mind temporarily using Illustrator 2024 (https://adobe.ly/4hgHkrC), and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2024 Oct 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Definitely wild. I feel like we traded a core feature for a bunch of AI stuff that isn't even practical in professional work. Big L Adobe, hoping for a smooth recovery, no pun intended

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines