• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PMS colour changes from 1 file to another.

Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on different lable packages and I've noticed that some PMS colours are drastically shifting from one file to another. I can not figure out what is different between these two files.

Below is an example of the colour shift from 1 file to another.

Any idea why this is happening? It's driving me mad!

PMS 802.jpg

TOPICS
Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I sould have mentioned that the colour swatch showing is PMS 802 C. The light green is from the old file and when I paste it into a new file, it's much darker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the Lab values?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, the lab colours are different between the old file and new file (see below).

But why are they changing when I copy and paste?

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 5.18.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-18 at 5.18.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colour swatch is labeled Panton 802 C. Correct and both files are CMYK. Both have the same preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Color Type should be Book Color and the lighter one has wrong values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lighter one is the orginal file and the colour breakdown can not be altered. I think I've figured it out. When I copy and paste into the new file, the Pantone swatch is automatically updating to the new colour values. So in order to stop that, I need to revise the swatch name. That seems to work. It was a surprise I wasn't expecting. 

Thanks so much for the help Ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There was a change in the early CS versions with the handling of Pantone swatches to Lab values instead of a CMYK breakdown. the new Lac values are the correct ones. Good to hear you solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they stil Spot colors in a CMYK document? What PMS color is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, still spot. PMS 802. I copy and paste from 1 file to another. Exactly the same colour swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colour swatch showing is PMS 802 C. The light green is from the old file and when I paste it into a new file, it's much darker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the swatch name PANTONE 802 C ?

What are the Lab values of the swatch in both documents? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines