Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG exports randomly cutting off image

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Myself and my colleague have both been experiencing the same issue; when we export to PNG from illustrator files the image either gets cut off or it creates an 'empty' file which cannot be opened. We are creating garment sketches in illustrator with two or more artboards which we are exporting to PNG with the following settings:

- use artboard box is checked

- All (artboards) is checked

- Medium resolution, art optimized checked

- interlaced unchecked

- background colour transparent

We are both working on iMac 24inch 2021 model with M1 chip.

The first artboard usually exports ok, but the second or additional artboards are cut off, and in different places each time (see image). There are also 'empty' files created which I cannot open (see image), and when i try to delete them it says I cannot delete them as they are currently in use (I can only delete them after restarting the computer). This does not happen every time I export, sometimes in the morning its fine but in the afternoon will start happening again!

Any ideas anyone?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Hi Chloe, Illustrator does not support saving to or working on a server, see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html#:~:text=services%20such%20as-,Dropbox,-,%20Google%20Drive,%20and

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Saving local and copy later to a server is the safest way.

You could try if turning off Preferences > File Handling > Export in Background makes it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are they exported, local desktop folder? Cloud Synced folder? Server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom, they are exported to a server

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry *Ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, I just exported them to my desktop and they all worked fine! Although it is an extra step for me to then add them into the server (we do a lot of this kind of work so need it to be as quick as possible), do you have any ideas why this is happening when I export to the server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chloe, Illustrator does not support saving to or working on a server, see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html#:~:text=ser...

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Saving local and copy later to a server is the safest way.

You could try if turning off Preferences > File Handling > Export in Background makes it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton, thanks, I tried turning off export in background but there was no change. Im guessing IT must have changed something to do with the server because I have been working this way for years and never had this issue before. Glad to have a fix in saving to desktop first but it is another step which will add to the workload.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help, very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Chloe, glad to hear that was helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines