Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preserve stroke aspect in 3D rotation

Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is it possible to preserve the stroke aspect when applying a 3D rotation effect? In other words, the object would undergo the roration but its stroke would not be thickenned and thinned according to the rotation, it would maintain a constant stroke width appearance throughout the rotated object.

As it is now, when I apply a 3D rotation to an object like a circle, the stroke's width varies after rotation (the stroke's visual appearance, not its stroke size in points, which remains constant).

This is for CS4.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

There is the 3D and a pathfinder effect applied to the object itself and then the stroke is applied to the layer. Please check out the Appearances ob both the object and the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could check out the Apperarance of the Layer in this file:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/b264bf97-3348-4b57-6349-1d5666b93fe4 Is that what you are planning to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika!

No, what I would like is this. The second object is subject to 3D rotate effect. I made the third object manually but I would like it to be just like the second object (circle with 3D effect applied to it), but with a constant aspect stroke.

3drotatestrokeissue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it work if you expand them as wireframe (or simply expand the appearance) and add a new stroke while no longer 3D? (I would do on a duplicate so you keep the 3D shape intact somewhere)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated the file.

Check out the Appearance of the Rotated object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imaginerie: No, because when expanding, it becomes a filled object and the strokes of the expanded object are no longer in the position of the original stroke (which would be kind of in the middle). Or perhaps I don't know how to do it properly!

Monika: Yes, that would work if the rotation is live and the stroke is live. How did you do it? I might be able to settle for a rotation that is no longer live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is the 3D and a pathfinder effect applied to the object itself and then the stroke is applied to the layer. Please check out the Appearances ob both the object and the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika. I'll have to get my head around why this achieves the desired result. It looks like the right solution. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll have to get my head around why this achieves the desired result.

By @sPretzel

There is a pathfinder effect included. It's pure magic. I don't think I fully understand it either 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika's solution makes sense! Follow hers instead! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines