• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview line (when drawing with pencil tool) color change?

Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello helpful adobians!

I've been a long time user of illustrator and something ive taken for granted seems to have changed and I cant find out how to change it.

well.. my questions is... in past versions of illustrator, when you select the colour of the layer (red ,blue ect ect) this would determin what colour the preview line would be when drawing with pencil tool for example. 

Currently this colour is set to dark blue ( see image)darkblue.jpg and its almost impossible to see when drawing on a dark coloured shape. (like black for example). In the past I used to pick a colour layer that was lighter, like white, yellow or pink) and it ment i could easly see my preview lines and shapes while drawing them.

Is there any way to change the colour?
any help much appreciated!!!!!

This single little color change is really slowing me down atm.
TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Layers panel double-click to the right of the layer name, then in the Layer Options dialog box click the Colo(u)r dropdown menu to select from the ready-made options, or click Custom to generate your own preference.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter

Thanks for the reply. My understanding from following your instructions, changes the Colour of the layer and also when objects are selected. But unfortently, this doesnt effect the preview line that is created while u are drawing a shape or line, which then vanishes when you lift the pen off the screen and either creates the shape or line. 

got any more ideas?

p

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does with a mouse on Windows, AI 24.3. What is your system information? Can you try without the pen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. with the mouse it does corisponde with the layer colour...

but using the surface pen (surface go and surface book2) its the dark blue colour.

weird. 

any ideas why this might be?

cheers

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without having a Surface to try myself, I can't say. It might be something inherent in its pen software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Doug

Bit of a slow reply. 😜  But this issue is still plaguing me and annoys me daily, i just had to move on because I couldnt find an answer to how to fix it or finding someone at adobe or microsoft who could find an answer and make a change. See photo, even with all layer colour preferences selected, when drawing with the surface pen, it defaults to this dark blue colour. Highly frustating if drawing on dark colours. 

colourline-default.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines