Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about using Symbols...

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I have a question regarding the use of Symbols. I rarely use them and have an occasion now where I have to utilize them. I know you can save them as "static" or "dynamic", and that saving them as static cuts down file size. So if memory serves me right, I could have sworn that when you used a Symbol in a drawing, that when you switched to outline mode, the symbol appeared as a square box, but for some reason, no matter if the symbol is static or dynamic, when I preview it in outline mode I am seeing the actual vector art. I'm worried because I don't remember it doing this in the past and don't want to have file size issues again.

What am I seeing here? Do I have something set wrong in Preferences?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot check that anymore in older versions, but a symbol made from an image still displays as a rectangle in outline mode. Static symbols still reduce the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that an image or "photo" will display as a rectangle in outline mode. I was talking about using a "vector-based" Symbol in a drawing (ex. - an icon you drew yourself and dragged into the Symbol palette) and seeing it as a rectangle while viewing the drawing in outline mode. I could have sworn that was the way it use to be. I guess what I am asking is for someone to verify that a vector-based Symbol does or does NOT appear as a square in outline mode or if you actually see the vector art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Monika's answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Illustrator CS3

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-16 um 11.33.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the benefit of not seeing the paths in Outline Mode? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't know if my Symbol tool was working properly because I could have sworn the symbols previewed as boxes in outline mode. It might have been something I saw when I used an "image" as a symbol, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a vector used as a symbol. I hardly ever use them, so I couldn't remember how they worked, but I thought all symbols previewed as boxes in outline mode, and I guess I was wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines