• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"unable to set maximum number of files to be opened"

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2010 Jan 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Adobe CS4 Master Collection on a MacBook (4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 10.6.2). Everything runs except Adobe Illustrator CS4, which crashes with the error "unable to set maximum number of files to be opened."

I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. There's nothing on Google or the forums about it - I found one other person who had this error but no solution was posted.

Already I've:

1.) Uninstalled AI CS4 using the uninstaller.

2.) Reinstalled.

3.) Uninstalled entire CS4 Master Collection.

4.) Reinstalled.

5.) Copied the AI folder from a working install of CS4.

6.) Used a USB hard drive with an OS X partition and Adobe CS4 to test if the machine a had problem. AI worked on the USB drive, but not on the hard drive.

7.) Searched the MacBook's hard drive for all files named "Adobe" including System and Library and Users/~/Library.

I'm out of ideas. Is this a conflict with some other software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

SMART found a fix for this issue.

You need to modify (or remove) /etc/launchd.conf. The entry that is causing the problem is the "limit maxfiles" line. If you remove that line and restart the problem will be fixed.

You can also remove the whole file but if you have other settings modified in that file then they will go back to the system default.

You will also need to have root access to make this change.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it is one of those things that just needs a day or tow of refection to figure out.

Edit

What were you doing before this problem showed up, do you recall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2010 Jan 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did trash these files during my uninstall, to no avail. I have over 125GB free on my drive, so that's not an issue either. Thanks for checking in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here except CS3 Master Suite.  Installed new smart drivers last week and now illustrator gives same error.  Adobe refuses to help without service contract.  Smart drivers seem to be the issue as I have now replicated the problem on a different machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deinstalled Smart Drivers 10.6.48.0, but that didn't bring back Illustrator. I can't deinstall and reinstall Illustrator tonight but I'll try tomorrow night. My boss is going to install Smart Drivers 10.6.48.0 on his laptop to see if that breaks his Illustrator.

Is there anyone with this issue who isn't running SmarBoard Tools?

Thanks

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's the cause but just removing drivers doesn't work, I am doing a clean install of os x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SMART found a fix for this issue.

You need to modify (or remove) /etc/launchd.conf. The entry that is causing the problem is the "limit maxfiles" line. If you remove that line and restart the problem will be fixed.

You can also remove the whole file but if you have other settings modified in that file then they will go back to the system default.

You will also need to have root access to make this change.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked!! Thanks so much for posting that solution! I'd love to know how on earth they figured that out.

Whew! Now I can get back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, removing /etc/launchd.conf and restarting worked. I have Adobe CS4 up. Thanks so much!

I would also love to see the Smart explanation of how they found this. I figured it would be something easy like this, but I had no idea how to troubleshoot it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry to sound ignorant, but i'm having the same issue on my mac after installing smartboard. where do i find "/etc/launchd.conf"? i've done a spotlight search and can't find any files of that name.

thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To remove /etc/launchd.conf

1.) Go to finder

2.) Go to the Go Menu at the top of the screen

3.) Scroll to "Go to Folder..." the second option from the bottom or press Command+shift+G all at the same time

4.) When the pop-up box comes up, type "/etc" (no quotes) and press he flashing "Go" button

5.) locate the "launchd.conf" file. I just dragged it into the trash, but if you want to edit it, open it in a text editor like BBedit or TextEdit. The entry that is causing the problem is the "limit maxfiles" line. If you remove that line and restart the problem will be fixed. If you remove the whole file, your SmartBoard preferences will be lost, apparently, but I didn't verify this.

6.) You must restart - simply dragging the file into the trash or removing the "limit maxfiles" line is not enough.

Once you restart, your Illustrator should function again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant!

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am real please to see things running again for everyone. Remember this experience the next time you have problem you do not understand.

It is going to save you a lot of pain. And time.

This really did not look like a bug. Bugs are pretty consistent and effect a much larger group usually.

however from the behavior it seemed to me something was causing a code to return an improper value. Hence the error.

So all is well and keep in mind conflicts can be document wise, application wise, user wise and system wise. It can be internal or external. Jumping to conclusions will not help you solve the problem and might cause some serious mistakes on your part, I know from experience.

So you have some very good news but the OP though they marked the thread answered did not mark the post giving the answer which will make it more difficult to a reader to locate the answer but you could go back and mark it helpful that would at least give it a highlight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2010 Feb 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this--which got Illustrator to work again--but I think I have a new problem as a result of deleting

the launchd.conf file.  Now when I open the SMART response software, and start a class, it tells

me the classroom is not available.

I want to try the other solution put forth here--but do not know where to put the launchd.conf file back to.

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you elaborate on your problems a bit? What system are you using, and what version of SmartBoard software? Did you download version 10? Are you referring to Notebook, or to other applications as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, because of the hell I went through getting SMART Response to

work, then getting Illustrator to work, I totally overthought it

today--my problem was solved when I connected the remote hub to my

computer. Ahh, you gotta love human error.

Kely Wakely

Art Technology Instructor

Anoka-Hennepin S.T.E.P.

763-433-4035

"Technology simplifies our lives"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running 10.5.8 and recently installed SMART 10.6 and encountered the same error message.

I tried locating the  /etc/launchd.conf file using your directions but am unable to do so.

Could this be because I am not running snow leopard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly...your best bet is to contact the SmartBoard people. They gave me

the fix to my problem and I just passed it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i actually did and they helped me! thanks for the forum and your help!!!

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:20:38 -0600

To: chavybroyde@hotmail.com

Subject: "unable to set maximum number of files to be opened"

Possibly...your best bet is to contact the SmartBoard people. They gave me

the fix to my problem and I just passed it on.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not running Snow Leopard should not be an issue.

My OS is Leopard.

Kely Wakely

Anoka-Hennepin S.T.E.P.

763-433-4035

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! i actually got it to work!

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 06:34:18 -0600

To: chavybroyde@hotmail.com

Not running Snow Leopard should not be an issue.

My OS is Leopard.

Kely Wakely

Anoka-Hennepin S.T.E.P.

763-433-4035

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. i see by the dates I am late to this party but having the same problem. I went to /etc and found no file named launcher. please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this after the install of smartboard software? If so I posted a fix in the discussion. It actually works and is easy to apply.

Nick Jones

Cloud County Community College

Instructor: Graphic Design, Fine Arts Department Chair

2221 Campus Drive

Concordia, KS 66901

800-729-5101 x326

Reply-To: <jive-1857979133-crbl-2-2et69@mail.forums.adobe.com<mailto:jive-1857979133-crbl-2-2et69@mail.forums.adobe.com>>

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:35:04 -0700

To: Nick Jones <njones@cloud.edu<mailto:njones@cloud.edu>>

Re: "unable to set maximum number of files to be opened"

created by hezzpw<http://forums.adobe.com/people/hezzpw> in Illustrator - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4050225#4050225

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only recall downloading extensis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a fix suggested by the IT people at Smartboard.

Reply-To: <jive-1857979133-crbl-2-2et69@mail.forums.adobe.com<mailto:jive-1857979133-crbl-2-2et69@mail.forums.adobe.com>>

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:35:04 -0700

To: Nick Jones <njones@cloud.edu<mailto:njones@cloud.edu>>

Re: "unable to set maximum number of files to be opened"

created by hezzpw<http://forums.adobe.com/people/hezzpw> in Illustrator - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4050225#4050225

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I could not find the "launchd.conf" file.

1. I tried both ways - Go Menu < Go to folder < type "/etc" (no quotes) and press he flashing "Go" button

2. Open Terminal Window < Type Sudo rm /etc/launchd.conf      <press Return, you will be prompted to enter your administrator password>

Through both ways I could not locate the file. It was not there...

What do I do now?

Thanks,

Gitika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines