• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radial repeat in Illustrator on Desktop

Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why isn't the wonderful Radial Repeat and Mirror Repeat from Illustrator for iPad 

ALSO in Illustrator 2021 ? While it is an amazing feature and so simple to use, it seems to me the same feature parity should be in the full desktop version. Or is it hidden somewhere and I don't see it?

{Renamed by MOD}

Mike Witherell
TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

These functions have been available in the desktop version since the Jan 2021 release.

What version do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hasn't been completed for desktop yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of May 25th 2022 these repeat tools are STILL not working on my PC desktop.  Why am I paying a subscription fee for a tool that does not work cross platform???????????  How many years do you need to finish a tool that is not available to all users?????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These functions have been available in the desktop version since the Jan 2021 release.

What version do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Repeat command can be found under the Object menu in the desktop version of Adobe Illustrator.

For what it's worth, I still prefer the Mirror Me Illustrator plugin from Astute Graphics because it has some capabilities I can't seem to re-create using the Repeat command in Illustrator. The Repeat command in Illustrator appears to be limited to applying mirror, star or grid effects to existing objects. The Mirror Me plugin can do the same thing, but it also allows a live mirror effect to be applied to a layer. The user can draw new paths or objects into the effect and see it updated live. The origin point can be numerically defined as well as the number of repeat axes. Illustrator's Repeat effect is good for some quick and dirty tasks, but Astute Graphics' Mirror Me plug in can help users draw out more complex effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you have applied a repeat in Illutrator you can always go into the object and edit it or add stuff. So it's "live" as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The repeat can be live, but with some key differences from the Mirror Me plugin. The source of the repeat has to be put into isolation mode for any new objects to be added into it. The boundaries of the repeat axes are not visible. In the Mirror Me plugin the axes boundaries are visible and guides can be added to them to allow snapping functions while drawing. The plugin has a check box option to trim and join paths that touch or cross axis boundaries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud 2022.  Updated today, May 26 2022.  The rotated image only has a circular line, no square bounding box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The selection box controls for a Radial Repeat object should look like the attached image. The mirror and grid options have similar controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As mentioned by Doug, this feature is not available in Illustrator yet. However, we're working on it. I'd request that if you could take out a moment and post this as a feature request here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/. This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote, which would help us prioritize.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worth mentioning Astute Graphics' "Mirror Me" plug-in, which has been available for several years. It does many of the Radial Repeat functions like those within the iPad version of Illustrator. Plus it's a FREE plug-in now (along with DirectPrefs and AutoSavior). The rest of Astute Graphics' plug-ins are part of their annual subscription program, but those 3 plug-ins can be kept free of charge after a 7 day trial of the whole suite.
https://astutegraphics.com/learn/update/mirrorme-is-now-free 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's inexcusable that you put this in a specialized version for one particular device while neglecting to put it in the full desktop version of the program.  This is akin to putting it in Windows, but not in the Mac version of the software - people wouldn't stand for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of May 25th 2022 thes repeat tools are STILL not working on my PC desktop.  Why am I paying a subscription fee for a tool that does not work cross platform???????????   Previous discussion is 2 years old. ?????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version do you have?  Did you try Object > Repeat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @KateQ,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would like you to know that Radial, Grid, and Mirror Repeat are available on Illustrator on the desktop. Kindly follow the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/repeat-patterns-desktop.html) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The article you sent a link to provides instructions for an IPad.  As I stated above I am working on a PC.  Windows 10, Creative Cloud 2022.  Illustrator updated today, May 26 2022. 

When I use the Repeat tool under Options, for Radial I can create a repeat, and use the Properties panel to alter.  There are no On Screen modifications available.  If these options are only available for Apple products, the article should clearly state this.  It does not.  The circular control icon is non responsive, and there is no square bounding box. When I use the selection tool I cannot deselect by clicking off object, or off artboard.  I have to switch to Direct selection tool, click on another object to clear selection of radial repeat.  I also cannot select the repeated object, with either selection tool to move it.  When I expand the object (labeled) I use tools normally, but repeat options are not available.

The grid repeat seems to work as described in Article.  The selection tools also work normally.

The Mirror repeat works much the same as the Radial.

File enclosed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @KateQ,

Sorry for the late response. I would request you create a UserVoice here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/) to add this functionality for Illustrator on the desktop.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines