• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduced width when importing .ai file to After Effects

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an illustration with the dimensions 15360x8460 (=4*4K).
To do animations, I save it as an .ai file and import it into After Effects.
For some reason, the dimensions of the .ai file in After Effects turn to 14400x8640, aka the width is reduced.
This doesn't happen when I export the illustration as .eps instead of .ai, why is that?
However, I'd like to use the .ai file in After Effects. 
What do I have to do so that the dimensions are correct?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the artwork look  stretched in one direction? Do you have any stray elements soutisde that artboard.

Try copying your art and pasting into a new document set and set the document Raster Effects at 72 ppi.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/illustrator-file-dimensions-change-when-imp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!
It doesn't look stretched, it just doesn't fit the entire width of my AE composition. 

Pascal5D73_1-1634046685012.png

Here in AE it says 14400x8640:

Pascal5D73_2-1634046761787.png

while in Illustrator it is 15360x8460 (see ruler) as it should be:

Pascal5D73_3-1634046903443.png

The weird thing is that when I save the Illustrator Project as an .eps file, the dimensions are correct when I import it to After Effects. The width cut from 15360px to 14400px only happens to the .ai file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw, Raster Effects were already set to 72ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the pixel aspect ratio in Illustrator (in the Artboard Options) and in your After Effects composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AE it's set to Square Pixels.
Do I have to set it to Square Pixels in Illustrator too?
How do I do that?
In the Artboard Options there's only "Video Ruler Pixel Aspect Ratio", 
and I have to insert a number there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 1 for Video Ruler Pixel Aspect Ratio. I am not sure if After Effects reads this, but it could explain the distortion if it is set to something else than 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh there is actually no distortion of the illustration at all if we talk about stretched image or something like that.
The illustration is LITERALLY cut off. 
In the pictures that I attached in another reply above you can see that New Zealand is completely cut off in After Effects, while being there in Illustrator.

It all looks as if After Effects can't import an illustration with a width of more than 14400px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you base your artwork on a Video & Film preset there will be 2 artboards.

With a single artboard, After Effects clips the content outside the artboard even when Retain Layer Sizes is selected.

With the second large artboard, AE will show the contents of layers when Retain Layer Sizes is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines