• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Request: Shortcut keys for pathfinder, array commands, and artboard rotation.

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently own Illustrator CS 5, but I more often use Inkscape because it has a few things that are more convenient to use:  For example, 'Ctrl Shift +' will join two shapes together while 'Ctrl Shift -' subtracts and 'Ctrl Shift *' gives the intersecting shape.  I'm a shortcut key fanatic and I feel like a turtle when I have to click buttons on menus instead of being able to use shortcut keys.  I couldn't find the individual pathfinder commands inside Illustrator's editable keyboard shortcuts.

Another Inkscape feature I like a lot is the ability to create arrays of shapes.   Say I want to make a brick pattern with one rectangle and then have illustrator create the rest of the bricks for me... In Inkscape, all I have to do is go into Edit\Clone\Create Tiled Clones, and specify some parameters to achieve this.  It would also be nice to have a rotational array, so I could make one leaf of a flower and have it automatically repeat itself 7 more times to create an 8-petaled flower.  I'd love to be able to even change the original if I wanted to and have the shape changes reflected in the other 7 petals.

Finally, I LOVE Photoshop and I do lots of illustration in it, but I would loved to use Illustrator if it could achieve the features requested above as well as rotate the artboard.  I want to be able to take advantage of my wacom tablet pressure sensitivity for linework, but without canvas rotation, I can't get some arcs I want to draw, and my wrist gets pretty sore from awkward repetitive angles of motion.

Thanks Adobe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make a keyboard shortcut for a Pathfinder command, you can:

1) Create an action that performs the command, and 2) Assign an F-Key to the action.

In general I agree that Illustrator's keyboard shortcuts are too limited, especially for Scripts and Panel fly-out menus. The Illustrator team should take a look at the keyboard shortcut options for InDesign. The range of choices there is vast compared to Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried working with CTRL+4, the shortcut for Repeat Pathfinder Command? I know this doesn't aid in flipping between varied pathfinder commands but with prioritization it could be a useful workaround. Anyone else with any solutions? I am also one who considers mouse movement redundant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good stuff above.  I was trying to command the 'unite' feature, but couldn't get it.   Seeing how it's the Pathfinder feature I use most, the Ctrl + 4 tip is awesome!   Cheers man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines