• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing Artboards to add mm sizing to side of page for PRINT (ie, brand book)

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So I recently created a 39page brandbook A4 size. I now need to add 25mm to the right side of each page (and on the front page on the left). If I resize all my artboards it throws my artwork all over the place, is there a way to lock the art work and add sizing to the side of each page?

Happy to explain further, but hope it made sense.

Thanks,

Nic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Okay, here's your A4 artboard, and let's just say it's covered with (gray) artwork.

Double-click the Artboard tool to call up the Artboard Options dialog:

To add that 25 mm to the left side, with the Reference Point set to one of the right-side nodes, add 25 mm to the artboard width:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using? How do you resize the artboards? What does "throws my artwork all over the place" actually mean?

Please show some screenshots that may explain what the issue is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure,

So I cant actually post screenshots as its a brands contents and I am unsure of permission.

As it is currently set to A4 size, I need to add 25mm to a certain side of each artboard to allow for room for hardback hole puncture. When I alter my artboard size in 'document set-up' it adds 12.5mm to each side of the artboard. Is it possible to add the 25mm to the correct side without moving the artwork?

Let me know if further explanation is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you familiar with using the Artboard tool that is located in the main Tools palette?

Again, which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry missed that,

CC 2019.

Sort of, but as mentioned I need to assign the added mm to the relevant (left or right) side of the page without moving the artwork. - Is this possible with the tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... "without moving the artwork" ...

I don't understand that part of your query.

Can you describe – step by step – what you are doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean by that is, there is an A4 artboard full of objects etc. When I add the required 25mm to the artboard, it adds 12.5mm to each side of the artboard, with this it assigns all the objects and art to the center.. and I get a strip of 12.5mm white on each side, where I need 25mm on one side...

Hope this clears it up more and I appreciate your time and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nic,

I now need to add 25mm to the right side of each page (and on the front page on the left).

I need to add 25mm to a certain side of each artboard to allow for room for hardback hole puncture.

The two statements seem to contradict each other. If this will be printed on one side of the paper only, the 25 mm/holes should all be on the left; if printed on both sides, the 25 mm/holes should all be on alternating sides.

It might help helpers help you if you could show the desired setup of the first pages with just a rectangle or whichever simple artwork to represent the artwork.

And what Kurt said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's your A4 artboard, and let's just say it's covered with (gray) artwork.

Double-click the Artboard tool to call up the Artboard Options dialog:

To add that 25 mm to the left side, with the Reference Point set to one of the right-side nodes, add 25 mm to the artboard width:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines