Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore snap-to-grid behaviour for path handles

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

one of the new features in AI CC 2014 is path handles ignoring any grid. However, when one wants to construct C2-contious joins between seperate objects, precise control over the handle position is needed. I do a lot of icon and sprite art, and there it is imperative that curves from differnent objects flow exactly the same to create a smoth transition between individual pieces.

How can one restore the ability of handles to snap to the grid like in previous versions of AI?

Reagrds,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 105 Replies 105
Engaged ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have forced me to update to CC2015 with your post, accidentally happen to be at the bottom of the page 1.

When I found nothing changed really, I went back here and found it to be silly joke

I share your sarcasm, but please, don't confuse people with lies.

I've lost a day of work, re-establishing my workflow, and couple of days because of licensing problems with plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed for me. I still don't have it? Do you still have it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, it's still not fixed. I've reported the problem so many times now and keep getting told they are aware of it and are working on it, yet nothing seems to be getting done about it. You'd think having had this working previously it would be easy enough to revert back to the old behavior, but it seems they threw away the old code or something.

Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here is some video proof (including ominous thunderstorm in the background). If it doesn't work for you in CC2015 try perhaps a clean install. Otherwise don't know 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this video. Now I just need to figure out what I've done wrong, I didn't have it and the reinstall didn't work. I hope someone can work it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video above is shot on a Mac. Are you on Windows or Mac metrication? How about you SFvdB? Landslide?

I'm  beginning to wonder if it's only a Windows problem as I am running 8.1 here. I have uninstalled Illustrator and have scoured my machine for anything Illustrator related, preferences, etc. and have deleted the lot, restarted, and have done a fresh Illustrator install and the problem still isn't resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on OSX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's not just a Windows problem then if metrication is on OSX. Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did a fresh install this morning. No snapping for me.

Edit: I'm on Windows 8, if that helps anyone know why it isn't working. I'm caving and reinstalling the original Illustrator CC - I think it still worked in that version. Looks like I can go as far back as CS6 if I have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm on a Mac, too - I made the video

Perhaps it's a Windows only problem. There are possibly some hidden settings somewhere (just as there are on Mac). I can't remember where they are on a PC, perhaps somewhere in a Windows/Common folder or something like that...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 7 and can't get this to work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold the phone!

I just noticed (despite my video above) that although drawing a new shape with the bezier handles snapping does work, editing an existing shape doesn't have snapping bezier handles...

Back to Adobe CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew it was too good to be true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got these responses from Adobe via twitter:

Adobe Customer Care on Twitter: "@SFvdB Hi Sebas - you're correct in that "snap to grid" is a return...

Adobe Customer Care on Twitter: "@SFvdB If there are customers that are having issues with this feat...

"If there are customers that are having issues with this feature, I would suggest them to reset their prefs & contact us directly ^ES"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied to the tweets SFvdB got back and this is what was tweeted to me...

"Hi, patch 19.0.1 for Ai is currently in testing phase. We'd release this patch as soon as we have completed our tests. ^NR"

So fingers crossed I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 19.0.1 and nothing has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 19.0.1 and nothing has changed.

Confirmed here as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's annoying. I don't have the option yet to update mine, but I assume it won't make any difference.

Just further proof that Adobe support, their people manning the help desk and Twitter, really don't know what they are talking about.

(sigh)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started posting in another thread about Photoshop selection marquees just disappearing. Woo!

It's funny - I feel like before CC, there was probably a lot more QA on builds before they were published. Now, with Creative Cloud, and the ability to update whenever, I feel like QA is now more or less in the hands of the user base. Wheee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAC OSX here. I've been following this thread and experiencing this issue for a while as well.

Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 update: no fix.

Uninstall and clean install of Adobe Illustrator CC 2015: no fix.

I did, however, notice where this feature was implemented and announced on June 18, 2015. I've attached a screenshot for reference to be used when customer service is telling us that it didn't happen.

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 9.00.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now I'm confused because the screenshot krspond posted specifically says handles don't snap. Are they meant to snap or aren't they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They used to snap and the functionality was, for some reason, intentionally removed. This thread of complaints has been about restoring the functionality, as it is critical to many a person's workflow. I posted the above shot because in some instances, Adobe Customer Support has claimed the functionality had never changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I pasted that link to CS to prove it had been intentionally disabled. Then, the CS representative linked me to the same site as proof that it was working fine, and I was wrong. That's when I discovered Adobe CS (customer support) actually doesn't understand the issue. You can see evidence of that in some responses they've made to this issue, linking to pages like that, that describe the lack of handle snapping as a new, helpful feature to improve precision. Which.. is.. the opposite of what it does. It literally prevents precision. Non-snapping handles was available before (if you.. turned snapping off).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know what this means? Am I being silenced for being annoyed at poor customer support and poor development decisions?

2015-07-07 10_00_58-Restore snap-to-grid behaviour for path handles _ Adobe Community.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Automatic moderation is applied to all new users at certain times of the day, so we can prevent spam attacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines