Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reversing Text on a mirrored Path

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having a nightmare trying to essentially flip text that has been mirrored. I am working on creating machinery stickers, it is a symmetrical design on either side so I have mirrored the template, this is when my problem with the text path occurs.

I have text on a curved line, when I try and flip the text round in the 'Type on a Path' options all it does is flip the text to the other side of the path baseline.

Problem.png

When I select flip with the scewed option I get something that is relative to what I am looking for - but with scewed text (see below).

Fix with Scewed option.png

Is there anyway to invert the text so it does not read back to front without having to try and create a new path? Mirroring the templates is a must - but surely there must be an easier way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

As far as I know, once you add text to a path there isn’t a way to get the path back through a command. However, you can create a duplicate of the path that doesn’t retain the mirrored text attributes.

I created a path, used the Text on a path tool to add the text “Text on a path,” mirrored it and now have the following:

text01.png

Use your direct selection tool to select just the path.

text02.png

Press Ctrl+ C to copy the path, press Ctrl+ Shift+ V to paste in place, select the original text-on-path shape, and delete i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, once you add text to a path there isn’t a way to get the path back through a command. However, you can create a duplicate of the path that doesn’t retain the mirrored text attributes.

I created a path, used the Text on a path tool to add the text “Text on a path,” mirrored it and now have the following:

text01.png

Use your direct selection tool to select just the path.

text02.png

Press Ctrl+ C to copy the path, press Ctrl+ Shift+ V to paste in place, select the original text-on-path shape, and delete it. Now you’ll have a stroke that’s exactly where the old path was but it doesn’t have any of the text properties applied to it. (I’ve added a color to the stroke so you can see it in the image below.)

text03.png

Select your type on a path tool again, click on the new path and add your text again.

text04.png

The text will be upside down, so go into your Type on a Path Options and turn on the Flip option.

text05.png

Now you can change the text alignment and your text will be on a mirrored path but right reading.

text06.png

Ideally, mirroring the path prior to using the Type on a Path tool is the better option, but this will give you a way to do this if you’ve already used the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael, this worked for me! Great instructions BTW. I appreciate the time you put into this for us newbies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies Stephen I used this method but forgot to come back and thank you for your assistance!

This worked perfectly and it's the way I work these nowadays. Thank you very much for the detailed assistance - have an awesome day you awesome person!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is a bit different, when I type unto the text path, it says "MUSPI MEROL" instead of "LOREM IPSUM", i cant seem to figure out what's causing this error, please help.Error 404.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is a bit different,

By @Kulit28414252qccr

Please create a new thread if you have a different problem.

This sounds like you have a right to left writing system, right? Arabic? Hebrew? That seems to be interfering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your path is already mirrored - in any tool but text (or make sure your text is not selected), type o then return to bring up the reflect dialog...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm… I don’t know if it’s the new version of InDesign (I’m running ID 2020), but it doesn’t work for me… (MacOS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hmm… I don’t know if it’s the new version of InDesign (I’m running ID 2020), but it doesn’t work for me… (MacOS)"

This is the Illustrator forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines