• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate snap not adhering to 45 degree turns

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to rotate a group of objects 180 degrees. I noticed that when I hold the shift key and go to click down to rotate, it'll turn just a hair before I actually rotate. I'm attaching a video of me holding shift, and then going to click... and then I undo and recreate the issue a few more times. Not sure what is causing this. For simpler shapes, I can't seem to recreate this, but with these more complex group of objects, it's everytime. 

I've noticed this issue a few times when I run through my normal checklist of preparing files, where a vertical or horizontal line is off just a hair. Thought I was going crazy, but now seeing when this is occuring. Frustrating for sure. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4 GB

Illustrator v 26.4.1

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Why not just hit the R key then return (or click select your axis point) and enter 180?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

@dang8813046 If you have certain angles you often rotate to, you could record an “Action” and assign a keyboard shortcut to that. This would be fast, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see that the the Smart Guides are initiated when you try to rotate. Did you try with Smart Guides turned off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rene, thank you for the quick reply. So I've been having a tough time recreating this issue today. It happened once, and then I haven't seen it again. I do think smart guides are having something to do with this, and it was locking to some other point in a separate object. And once I notice it happen again, I will try turning them off... but this is an issue, correct? There would be no intentional reason for this happening (that I can think of). The fact that I'm holding shift prior to the rotate should lock it in place at 0 degrees. So why the fraction of a degree adjustment?  I rely heavily on smart guides, so the additional step (while minimal) adds a great deal of time on by the end. Not to mention I need to retrain myself to turn them off before rotating each time? Not super ideal. Anyways, I'll touch base once I can recreate it. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a few versions there are strange things happening when you use Smart guides together with Shift. Smart guides will also highlight 90° angles and horizontal/vertical moves, so that might have to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just hit the R key then return (or click select your axis point) and enter 180?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the suggestion.. The frequency in which I am duplicating the design and rotating would add a lot of time on working like that. At this stage in my process I'm rotating these designs multiple times per minute. If this was something I had to do every few minutes, I wouldn't mind.. Why press 10 buttons when this should take 1? Shortcuts and efficiency are what makes these tools practical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dang8813046 If you have certain angles you often rotate to, you could record an “Action” and assign a keyboard shortcut to that. This would be fast, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's true. I guess I'll have to do that for now. Thanks for the suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No buttons, KEYS - R enter 180 enter - all on the keyboard - you don't have to move your hand or hold the shift key while you wiggle your mouse. It's one second. The keyboard is the definition of shortcuts and efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines