Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as-funcion -> help needed

Participant ,
Aug 26, 2011 Aug 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The question is simple but the solution for me isn't so simple.

An eps-file in Illustrator must be saved as an ai-file with the same name, but the extension must be ai instead of the original eps-file.

Is it also possible to change the color profile from RGB/CMYK/... to grayscale?

The problem is that Illustrator saves the file as undefined.ai instead of the <<original file name>>.ai

#target illustrator

// PART 1 -> OK, this part works
var doc = app.activeDocument;
doc.artboards[0].artboardRect = doc.visibleBounds; //cropt de artboard naar enkel de figuurgrootte

// PART 2 -> don't work

var docName=doc.fullname;
destFolder = doc.path;
var destFile = new File(destFolder + "/" +  docName + ".ai");   // make a new file in the dest folder

var options = new IllustratorSaveOptions();   // new save as options
options.compatibility = Compatibility.ILLUSTRATOR15;   // save as AI CS5
options.pdfCompatible = true;

options.useCompression = false

doc.saveAs(destFile,  options);  // save the file in the same foldere as the eps

// PART 3 -> OK, this part works
doc.close(SaveOptions.SAVECHANGES);   // close the file with saving

// PART 4 -> change color profile?

I hope that someone can help.

Thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 26, 2011 Aug 26, 2011

Maybe someone can find a solution if there are only path/text objects in you document.(eg: K = 0.3*R + 0.59*G + 0.11*B etc.)

Else, I don't think is possible with Javascript, for example, if you have rasterItem embed, there is no way to change it to grayscale with JS(except re-rasterize).

In Windows, a possibly solution is record a "change to grayscale" action, and call the action from within a VBA script. But I'm not familiar with VBA, sorry.

By the way, isn't all steps can be done with an action?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

#target illustrator // PART 1 -> OK, this part works var doc = app.activeDocument; doc.artboards[0].artboardRect = doc.visibleBounds; //cropt de artboard naar enkel de figuurgrootte // PART 2 -> var destFile = new File(decodeURI(doc.fullName).replace(/(?: \[Converted\])?\.eps$/, '.ai'));   // also remove "[Converted]" from filename var options = new IllustratorSaveOptions({});   // new save as options options.compatibility = Compatibility.ILLUSTRATOR15;   // save as AI CS5 options.pdfCompatible = false;   //I don't like it options.useCompression = true;   //I like it doc.saveAs(destFile, options);   // save the file in the same foldere as the eps // PART 3 -> OK, this part works doc.close(SaveOptions.SAVECHANGES);   // close the file with saving

PART 4 -> change color profile

Do you mean change colorMode? But there is no grayscale colorMode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fabulous!!

many thanks!

Part 4, see attached screenshot.

First I think, everything must be selected (unlock all layers? > select all > change everything to grayscale)

But, I'm a very Newbie. 😞

screenshot.jpg

Now, everything is or RGB or CMYK, and I hope there is a possibility to change everything to Grayscale.

Of course, I know that unlock all layers, select all, change color to grayscale must be done before saving and before closing the file.

Now, I will begin with analyzing what you have changed on my original poor javascript code...

Many thanks for helpful suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe someone can find a solution if there are only path/text objects in you document.(eg: K = 0.3*R + 0.59*G + 0.11*B etc.)

Else, I don't think is possible with Javascript, for example, if you have rasterItem embed, there is no way to change it to grayscale with JS(except re-rasterize).

In Windows, a possibly solution is record a "change to grayscale" action, and call the action from within a VBA script. But I'm not familiar with VBA, sorry.

By the way, isn't all steps can be done with an action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines