• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as PDF for printing labels

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to send printing companies my labels to print. I made my labels in Illustrator using a 4" x 2" art board. I save as PDF and send it over and apparently the size is always too big and they have to resize it, but it doesn't look good. Why is it not saving at the size I created?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could use more information.

• Is 4" x 2" the correct output size?

apparently the size is always too big and they have to resize it

• What application are they opening it in?
  • What size do they say it is?
  • How are they resizing it?

but it doesn't look good.

• In what way?
  • Is your artwork all vector? All expanded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

• What application are they opening it in? They open it in AI... as I type this I just found that out. So I've been using AI turning it into a PDF and sending it. Then they open in AI and do what they do and then convert to a PDF to send to me. So I guess the best way to deal with this is just to send an AI file to begin with...
  • What size do they say it is? 4x2 seems like they actually needed it .25 bigger but didnt have that on file requirements.
  • How are they resizing it? Using AI

• In what way? The artwork extends over the cutting area. Somehow they are stretching the columns and artwork outside the cutting frame but all the words and stuff remain the same size. So basically it no longer all fits within the frame because the stretched things weirdly. 
  • Is your artwork all vector? All expanded? It is vector, Uhh I am a beginner...I don't know what expanded is. If you're talking about object -> expand then some of the content is, yes but not the whole thing. Is that something that it required to print correctly?

Answering you actually helped me a lot on figuring out what part of the problems were. I still have no idea how they stretched everything like they did... but it no longer matters. I got them to do it correctly now, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad it's sorted. Can't be sure, but it sounds like they may have simply been adding bleed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also...

• How are you saving it off?
  • What pixel ratio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, I am saving it as "High Quality Print" option under a PDF

300ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say the size is too big, have you asked them what size it should be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it needed to be 4" x 2" in which my art board is 4" x 2"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you mask all of our art to the artboard size?

did the printing company provide you with copy or bleed limit specifications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I am a beginner at this. I don't know what masking would do or if its needed before you print something?

Yes to the bleed and I complied to their needs. No copy instructions though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines