Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

save custom brush to CC library

Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 10, latest version of Illustrator.

I can't seem to save a custom brush to my CC libraries.

1. Can it be done?

2. How to do it?

Thanks,

Phil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

No, you cannot save an Illustrator brush to a CC library.

But you can work around it by creating an object with your brush applied (or multiple objects with different brushes) and drag them to the CC library.

When you want to use them in another document, Alt - Drag them from the library onto the artboard.

You can delete the dragged objects because the brushes are now added to the brushes panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you cannot save an Illustrator brush to a CC library.

But you can work around it by creating an object with your brush applied (or multiple objects with different brushes) and drag them to the CC library.

When you want to use them in another document, Alt - Drag them from the library onto the artboard.

You can delete the dragged objects because the brushes are now added to the brushes panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the assistance.

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton's response dated Jul 16, 2020 says you can't add brushes.

Adobe's website dated Oct 11, 2019 makes it sound like you can add brushes.

If the website is wrong... it needs to be fixed so that customers stop wasting time trying to do this 😉

scr_AI_CC_Brushes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, nothing has changed with regards to adding brushes from Illustrator.

I'll try to find someone to get this help file fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for verifying I'm not going crazy 😉 I love my Creative Cloud Libraries and use them daily across apps so if it's possible... I'd be thrilled to see the ability to add Illustrator brushes someday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are workarounds:

Global colors, gradients, brushes and pattern swatches are not supported in CC libraries.

But as a workaround you can drag an object using a brush/pattern/gradient/global color to the CC Library 

You can also drag multiple items using different brushes/patterns/gradients/global colors together into a CC library to simulate a library.

The easiest way to add them to a new document is to hold down the Alt key when you drag them from the library and place them in a new document. The patterns/gradients/global colors automatically get added to your swatches panel.

You can hit escape before you click to place the object(s) or delete the dragged library items because the swatches and brushes are now part of the document.

Symbols work differently, click once with the Symbol Sprayer Tool to create a Symbol Set and drag that to the CC Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask what the Alt clicking actually stands for?

Also, I used to use symbols to store various garment sketches, etc. When would you use symbols vs libraries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt dragging from a CC Library adds the editable object to the document. Without the Alt key you would add a link to the CC Library item.

You can also use Symbols in a CC Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmmm hours of mucking around trying to add custom brush to library when it says i can!!!!!!!!!!!  its now 2022 - TIME THIS GOT FIXED, CORRECT??????????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like your shift key is stuck.

If you want something changed in Illustrator, please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found a simple and primitive solution to this:

1) I create a new brush that I will need for several illustrations, for example Callographic Oval 2 pts.

2) I create a new documen and scribble a few things with that brush.

3) I save it on my desktop as "CALL OVAL 2" 

4) For each new illustration I open the "CALL OVAL 2", and "save it as" (name of the new illustration).

Hilariously simple when you think of all the complexities of Illustrator!

I hope this helps!

Anne-Marie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth can this not a thing yet? I want to save brushes in the library for desktop and it sure as heck would be nice to use them in AI for iPad too!!! man.  Adobe is killing me. Maybe instead of spreading themselves so thin of making all the new pointless apps and trying to compete in the 3D world and price gouging us, they could continue to perfect their main products in these basic needed ways. I'm so tired of them holding the place as the industry standard go-to programs when they can't even iron out some of these more minor things in the original apps. All of this griping is coming from someone who LOVES Illustrators. Hey Adobe!! You aren't going to stay at the top if you keep gouging us, ignoring small but obvious needs in your essential apps, and continue to neglect your tablet app game. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

The engineers don't read this forum. Please create a feature request and then get other people to vote for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
RMIT Classification: Trusted

Thank you for your advice

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines