Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for Web grayed out as an option

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm working in Illustrator (24.2.3) and for some reason on a document I'm working on, the save for web option is grayed out and unusable, but works just fine in any other file. Any idea on a fix for this?

20200810_105608.jpg

Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Okay, I figured out why Save For Web was greyed out. Apparently I had set up a Large Canvas document and upon further research, I found some documentation indicating that some export options are not possible from Large Canvas files. 

It would be nice if there was the ability to change this option AFTER a file has been created. Since it's not an option, I had to create new documents with the Standard Cavas size, then copy and paste artboards from this file to the new ones that do allow Save For We

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share this .ai file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And did you find out what it was? I seem to have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble and delayed response. I hope the issue is resolved by now. If not, I would request you to please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrtaor
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences ( https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I look at the lower left corner of the picture I see a zoom percentage of 2,12% which indicates that the artboard is very large and probable exceeds the limit of the pixel size that Save For Web can handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could also be caused by working in a Large Canvas Document.

As far as I can tell, Save for Web is not available in Large Canvas documents (docs larger than 227 inch)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too. I am creating an image to post on LinkedIn 1200x628... doesn't seem that large... but the Save for Web is greyed out. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the only artboard in your file? Is that 1200 x 628 in pixels or some other unit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And did you read Ton's answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am suddenly now experiencing this same issue. And it suddenly occurred while I was working in a file in which I had been Saving for Web just moments before. 

Also, I did just update my Mac OS to latest version (Ventura 13.2) to see if that would fix it but alas it did not. And I did try with another ai file and it did allow Save for Web. Not sure why is suddenly stopped working in this one particular file. 

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 12.57.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I figured out why Save For Web was greyed out. Apparently I had set up a Large Canvas document and upon further research, I found some documentation indicating that some export options are not possible from Large Canvas files. 

It would be nice if there was the ability to change this option AFTER a file has been created. Since it's not an option, I had to create new documents with the Standard Cavas size, then copy and paste artboards from this file to the new ones that do allow Save For Web. Hope this helps others who stumble upon this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sean5C51,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the solution to your problem. It will definitely help someone else in the future.

Save for Web is a legacy option and is not actively updated by the engineers. However, you can share your feedback with them on our UserVoice here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/).

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines