• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Files from Illustrator to enable word-searching with Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been given a requirement from a client that all graphics must be word-searchable in the final documents, which are Microsoft Word documents and/or PDF files. The font requirement is TNR, so not decorative or system-specific.

The only solution that I have found so far is to create the graphic in Illustrator, save out the file without the text, paste into PPT and then add text boxes on top, and THEN copy/paste into Word. Please tell me there is an easier way!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that Microsoft Word itself has to be able to search the graphics? A quick experiement shows that exporting as EMF, placing in Word, then converting to a Word object (ungrouping) maintains text, but I don't know how reliable that would be with more complex files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried what you mention above, but do not have an option to "ungroup" in word. Any chance it is a discrepency with PC vs Mac (which is what I am using)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't aware that EMF files were even available on Mac. I don't have my home machine to check I'm afraid -- I'm on Windows at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EMF or WMF file formats rely on Windows graphics routines and therefore it doesn't make a lot of sense to use them on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the info! I will try to export to an emf and then drop the file into Word on a PC to see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDFs should be no problem, so long as the type isn't coverted to outlines.

The Word documents will probably a much more significant headache. The only fail-safe solution would be to re-set the type in Word. There are quite a few PDF to DOC conversion tools around, including in Acrobat itself, but thankfully I've not had to test many. It's been a while, but last time I tried it was pretty woeful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That is what I have found as well, I am hoping that the client only wants a PDF, because that is an easy one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines