• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving layers to files?

People's Champ ,
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a simple way to save individual layers to files?   Like I just select all the layers I want and Illustrator exports each selected layer to an individual file?

Or is there a way to automaticlly put each layer on it's own artboard so i could use the export selection?

I have done some searching but the only solutions I could find were using scripts or actions.

Is there no simple solution like Photoshop's Export>Layers To Files?

Thanks.

Paul

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Hi

I have Adobe Illustrator CC 2017

You can can do it one by one:

- select the layer/image/object you want to export,

- right click

- select Export selection

Then an export box should pop up, with file info.

If you want to do multiple:

right click object/layer/image - select Collect for Export

A library of your collection show show up and theres an export button at the bottom.

This way you can export them all at once at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

One default way is to set up and use Layer Visibility variables in conjunction with a batch process.

Don't know if you think this may be a "simple" way for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt,

Thanks. I am using 2015.3.  When you say layer variable along with batch do you mean something like having a looping expression?   Or is "Visibility variable" a function in the batch dialogue?  Is there even a batch dialogue?  My Illustrator knowledge is pretty limited.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a script available:

Export Illustrator Layers and/or Artboards as PNGs and PDFs | Matthew Ericson - ericson.net

It has multiple options including saving as separate files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kstohlmeyer1,

Thanks!!!  That script will save me some time for sure.  But it's still an issue when I need vector files.  I'm sure there is something out there I'll jst have to search a little harder.

Cheers.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should read up on this - it does save out vector as one of the options (PDF is vector). I use this quite a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about Layer Visibility variables which can be set up in the Variables palette, Gutter-Fish.

You can open Illustrator's Batch dialog in the Flyout menu of the Actions palette.

I've once posted a detailed instruction about using Layer Visibility variables on this forum (suitable for advanced beginners). Not sure if it is still available. Long time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Kurt,

i will look into this option and heap praises if it works out.

Vheers

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can—out of the box—click the little circle to the far right of the layer, which will select every thing on the layer, then cut or copy it and paste it to a new artboard or new document.

Is it a one-time thing?

Why did the scripts and actions fail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane-e,

It's not a one-time thing as I often get character sheets with multiple characters and I need to get each charcter or pose to it's own .ai or .png file.  I'm getting tired of exporting the file as a .png to Photoshop, cuting it up and using export to layers.  Also when I need to keep the images vector I go through one at a time toggling visibility and saving as .ai.   Whether I have to use an action or find a script I need to get the process automated.  I just thought there might be a native function like there is in PS.  You know to save myself the hour or two it might take to figure out how to follow some more complicated process with actions or scripts.

Thanks,

paul

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutter-Fish wrote:

Hi Jane-e,

I just thought there might be a native function like there is in PS. You know to save myself the hour or two it might take to figure out how to follow some more complicated process with actions or scripts.

Thanks, paul

Hi Paul,

Don't be afraid of Actions and Scripts. Actions just repeat what you can do manually so that you can repeat your steps.

And there is an Illustrator Scripts forum here that can help if you don't find one that fits your project:

Illustrator Scripting

In addition, you can fill out a feature request:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have Adobe Illustrator CC 2017

You can can do it one by one:

- select the layer/image/object you want to export,

- right click

- select Export selection

Then an export box should pop up, with file info.

If you want to do multiple:

right click object/layer/image - select Collect for Export

A library of your collection show show up and theres an export button at the bottom.

This way you can export them all at once at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funny enough... you can do it with just one-click in Fireworks 10 years ago... until Adobe killed all those good DTP products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another way to export multiple layers into different formats, is to the extension Smart Layer Export.

Smart Layer Export manual install | Thomas Byrne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines