• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving pdf will make rasterized image blank / white / invisible.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. I have an issue that I never had before I upgraded from a 2019 illustrator. Now I have the latest update and whenever I rasterize an image and save it the image is invisible. I have to create the file with illustrator because theres a spot color that needs to be on a layer so my plotter can cut the file. I rasterize it so my file is 10 times smaller than with layers. I am saving it in pdf so I can see the actual image without opening the file. If I save it as eps then everything shows up and it works but all i can see in windows is an eps icon and being a print shop owner I have a ton of files which is a lot easyer to browse thru if I can also see the image alongside with the file name.  it worked before. I havent changed any settings when saving the pdf. I did try different compatibility settings but doesn't change the outcome. I tried different presets when saving. Doesn't help. I have tried to open it on a different computer. Same thing happens. Image is white in adobe acrobat, in windows browser and in my roland rip software. When I open it in acrobat reader the image shows up for 1 sec then it goes blank. 

Update: i just did a bunch of testing and this is what i realized: There are ice cream pictures in this image which are raster images that makes this file originally over a 100mb. If I rasterize EVERYTHING and leave only the pink spot (cutcontour) color then the file is invisible when I save it as pdf. If I only rasterize the ice cream images with transparent background and save it as pdf it works. I tried to release any paths from these ice cream images and then rastrize it and save it but still invisible. So basically i figured out a workaround that works for me and makes the files smaller and I can save it as pdf but still don't understand why it's giving me a problem. I had no issues with an older illustrator. I upladed the file as pdf with the single ice cream image in it ( i had to keep it under 47mb so i can upload it, i figured 1 ice cream pic should be enugh for you guys to test it.) Bottom line: something is still buggy even if i found a workaround. Shoulnd't be like that. 

Oh yeah.. one more thing. This issue also persisted when I tried to copy this file into photoshop. pasted it as a smart object and it was all white. 

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Besides the cut contour spot, there are 6 spot colors in your image file, probably because you had Preserve Spot Colors checked when you rasterized the file.

If I select your rasterized image, choose Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to RGB and save the pdf it previews fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a file that i saved and it's just all white

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the cut contour spot, there are 6 spot colors in your image file, probably because you had Preserve Spot Colors checked when you rasterized the file.

If I select your rasterized image, choose Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to RGB and save the pdf it previews fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius! 

I work in production design and our whole team switched from Corel to Illustrator and I couldn't figure out why this would happen on our approval sheets when we would rasterize art from within Illustrator; It just had to do with leaving "Preserve Spot Colors" checked, Once I converted my image to RGB it showed up just fine on the PDF, SWEET!!!!

Thank you Ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I forgot to ask this before, but what is the reason why if you have spot colors in a design and decide to rasterize it and choose to preserve that it just shows up blank on the PDF, just for my own curiosity.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note. If you want to keep the dieline as part of the file as a whole, make sure your CutContour line is set to Overprint to assure it doesn't knock out of the artwork. Either that or save two separate files, one just the dieline and the other the artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines