Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script Panel - Work in progress

Guide ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Working on a Script Panel to make scripts simpler to run in illustrator.

This is a work in progress...

Untitled-3-01.jpg

Looking for some people to help test and make suggestions.

at the moment this is a Windows only program... Sorry Mac users

and right now it is still an AHK file.

so I'm looking for people who already use AHK (AutoHotKey)

both files need to be saved in the same directory. would be best if they had their own folder.

Settings file needs to be manually updated at this point and will need the path to your desired script folder and the path to your illustrator updated for it to work.

once AHK file is running it will scan the script folder for scripts.

will also scan sub folders but only 1 deep, this way groups of scripts can be organized.

Window will appear center screen, just drag the panel to where you want it.

so far you can mouse click any script to run it.

it is also tied to the "Tilde" or "Back Tick" / "~" or "`" no shift needed.

This will make the window active and allow you keyboard access to the scripts. ie. "Tilde 24 Enter" will run script 24

I have plans for settings window so any variable such as paths, font etc. can be set from the program.

And also will make the sub folders collapsible for simpler viewing.

Can't wait for thoughts and suggestions.

http://qwertyfly.com/files/Script%20Menu/

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

This is a great replacement for ScriptBay for CC users on Windows, I will recommend it to anyone who would like to use it.

It works pretty nice.  Will there be a close , or minimize button for the panel?

What kind of distribution are you intending on for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.

Had not thought about a minimize... I work on 3 monitors so screen space is not an issue.

I will add a "Collapse Window" option.

Distribution for this has not been thought about at all. Once I get all the featurs working I will compile it so it can be used by all windows users. not just the AHK fans.

Then I will look at how to make it run for the Macsters.

If the response is good then I will see if it is worth taking it further.

So far it is to fill a hole in my workflow that I thought others would gain benefit from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have added the "Collapse Window" Button.

the keyboard shortcut stays active so as long as you know what script you want to run, ie. 22. then the "Tilda 22 enter" will still run the script even when panel is collapsed.

Use same link above to get new files.

I will start posting versions as we go on from here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added version folders.

and will include Compiled EXE files from now on so more people can use it without the need for ahk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the idea!! I wonder if javascript can pull something like this...actually I kind of remember someone did manage to do it using bridgetalk about a year ago, I need to search the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Javascript should be able to do this.

once I have it developed so that is a complete program that may be the next step.

AHK is a fantastic and gives me an easy platform to develop with, but does not work on a mac...

Javascript may be the option to push it out for everyone.

ironAHK was an AHK spinoff for other platforms, Mac Linux etc. (based on .NET)

but I believe this project is discontinued.

Still, it may be an option for compiling a mac version, but I don't have a mac so would not be able to test this any time soon.

I think the hardest thing to achieve with Javascript is to make it a program in its own right.

as an EXE it can be added to the Startup Folder on a pc so that it is just there...

as javascript it would then need to run using the illustrator Javascript engine.

so would need to be started after illustrator and then would have the same restrictions as all Illustrator scripts.

I'll look in to it. may just need a small program that starts the "Script Panel" javascript once illustrator has loaded.

First step though is to get it working properly...

I've nearly got the settings section basics working so should be able to post that tomorrow.

That will include being able to Reload the program to apply any changes additions to the script folder.

and you will be able to update/Change the paths to illustrator and the Script directory without editing the settings.txt file.

later the settings page will include the ability to modify the theme. Colours, Fonts, Font size, Some headings text and Icons Etc...

In essence let you make it work with your look and feel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, it's turning into a big project, thanks for putting so much work into it.

...here, I found the post, it's a very interesting reading about BridgeTalk

Calling functions from UI palette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, I will have a read when I get some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos:

I was able to get my desired effect of running a script from palette in a network folder by parsing text from a .jsx and using eval() on it, so characters such as nextlines inside strings didn't have to be encoded, what would you think about this simplified approach?  Of course, we would be ideally not running files we didn't make in the first place.

imagecollection:

I think virtually the entire function of your AHK palette can be made as a scriptUI palette, and they do allow you to start it up on startup via a triggering script (or the script) inside the Startup Scripts folder, so if you wanted to, you could make some kind of installer which writes those 2 scripts into the correct folders, on Mac & PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like javascript is the way to go. I'll finalize the settings window so this is at a working stage the look at making it with javascript.

the input is exactly what I was after.

i could have spent many hours putting time in to this when it's better spent pushing in a different direction.

will keep you posted on where i go from here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try Peter Kahrel's excellent ScriptUI-2-4.pdf from his website to get a handle on using Script Ui in Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link Larry.

This will be a big help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ver 0.003 has been uploaded.

This includes a working settings screen.

Settings screen allows updating of:

Program Path

Script folder

file types to show in list

as well as background and foreground colours

also includes Save and reload button top right to save settings and reload the program

Top left is a Reload button, handy for when script folder has had changes made.

added extra... Version number appears at the bottom.

Custom Window location does not save as yet... that's on the cards for next upload

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imagecollection, I have a need for such a thing fairly soon for my own purposes, and I could paste the basic starting-point for a javascript approach, if you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a good start in progress already.

The current issues, Holdups...

starting with the small visual fluff.

ScriptUI does not allow font change or even Size of font.

also still working out how to create a Borderless window that can still be dragged around...

Now the Killer (if I can't get this to work there is not point)...

File.execute(); - this just opens the Script in ESTK, as if I just double clicked it in the file explorer.

I have tried adding the Illustrator path to the start as you would in Win Cmd with no luck

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to use the bridgetalk object to send the scripts, or have all your executed files say a #target illustrator on them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want the #target illustrator to be a requirement.

side note, why would #target illustrator use CC and not the already open CC2014 ???

So Bridgetalk may be the best option. Thanks Silly-V‌

Any good documentation on bridgetalk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to just find examples on here, and it all boils down to this:

1.     bt.target = "illustrator";          
  2.     var script = "alert('This is where we put the entire script as string.');"        
  3.     bt.body = script; 
  4.     bt.send();   

So, what I was able to do is read my target .jsx script as text, and then send it via the above code.

For the #target part, I heard that doing a dash-version# can be used: How do I target different version of Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridgetalk is working.

now I'm having version issues. its running the script in CC, not CC2014.

tried:

bt.target = "illustrator";            //hoping this would use current active

bt.target = "illustrator-18";         //seen this used for CS versions but not CC+

bt.target = "illustrator-18.0";       //seen this used for CS versions but not CC+

bt.target = "illustrator-18.1.1";     //as displayed by alert(app.version);

bt.target = "illustrator-18.064";     //as shown in ESTK target application

Also a little worried about the bridgetalk loading the whole script to a variable.

is this going to increase resources? (maybe not but not sure how to check)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scrap that, I had a leftover section of code I had not deleted.

Bridge talk is not working,

taking a step back, ill simplify things and try to stop asking questions I don't need to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stupid me.

such a rookie mistake.

I had a whole section of code making a mes of things.

I must have hit Paste at some stage and not noticed.

Back on track now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...such a rookie ...it happens to all of us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's like when you spend an hour or more debugging something only to find a variable that's missing a capital letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly-V wrote:

Carlos:

I was able to get my desired effect of running a script from palette in a network folder by parsing text from a .jsx and using eval() on it, so characters such as nextlines inside strings didn't have to be encoded, what would you think about this simplified approach? 

are you still using bridgetalk with this approach?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines