Script to Batch Rename Layers/Artboards with Search/Replace Function?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I have been spoiled by an After Effects plugin called AE Global Renamer (AEGR) and was wondering if Illustrator had a plug in or script that could do something similar. The beauty of AEGR is that it allows you to search a consistent variable and replace it globally (please check out the example below):

ae_global_renamer_01-before.jpg

I’ve search the threads and the closest thing I’ve found was a cool plugin by Qwertyfly...​ that allows you to batch rename artboards. Though, the script is restricted to artboards (it would be great if it could rename layers) and doesn’t really have a search/replace option (or I'm not using it correctly):

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7625415#7625415

If any of you know of something that can Batch Rename Layers/Artboards with a search/replace function that would be great!

Thanks!
Will

Message was edited by: Will N

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

here's a script to rename layer names

// findReplaceLayers.jsx
// carlos canto
// https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2391868

function main () {
    var idoc, search_string, replace_string, layers, i, tframe, new_string, counter=0;
    var idoc = app.activeDocument;

var search_string = Window.prompt ('Enter Search string', 'text 1', 'Find/Replace Layer Names');

if (search_string == null) {
        alert ('Cancelled by user');
        return;
    }

var replace_string = Windo

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos already said Illy scripts won't work in PS - ask on the PS forum for help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I did use the layers script above and loaded it in Photoshop and it worked though. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines