• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select all layers with selected objects?

Engaged ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file with a gazzillion layers, and I'd like to arrange the layers in a logical fashion to bring into After Effects to animate.  Specifically, I want to sort the layers according to the location of it's contents on the canvas, with all layers containing objects toward the bottom of the canvas arranged toward the bottom of the layers list.  Ideally, I would like to be able to box-select the bottom fifth of the canvas to select all the layers to drag them down the list, but of course this only selects the objects on the layers and not the layers themselves.  Is there any way to convert a selection of objects into a selection of their layers?  Thanks!
Update - This time when I selected the layers with the little boxes, it didn't deselect the objects, so at least I can use this information to help me know the right layers to select. But I'll leave the question open in case there's a better way. Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to highlighting the layers in the layers panel?

For me that is happening when I yelect something on the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one layer highlights for me.  So if I drag a selection box around twenty items on different layers, only one layer is highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it using the little selected object indicator boxes in the Layers panel to help me know what layers to grab, but I wish there was a feature to select layers from the artboard. What a time saver it would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, you select "some" objects on the canvas.

Then open your layers panel.
In the layers panel you will see different "selection squares" - small and large.
Create a new layer and name it.
Click on the small selection square of the "old layer" and hold down the mouse button. Now move this small selection square directly upwards (or downwards) to the new layer in the layers panel.

All selected objects are now on the newly created layer.

Is this what you wanted?

---------------------------

Conversely, if nothing is selected, click on the area next to the small circle in the desired layer (where the selection square is located) and everything on the layer that is not invisible or locked will be automatically selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not it, but thank you.  I'm just looking to sort layers while keeping the objects on the layers they're already on.  Just to drag layers up and down the Layers panel to sort them, not to drag objects between layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. It's still not quite clear.

Can you please show an example? Two screenshots of the document with the layers panel open - before and after? How it is and how it should be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to show you is if you try it yourself.  Make a file with many layers and an object on each layer.  Then box-select a group of objects on the artboard and look at the layers palette.  You'll see only one layer highlighted, but many objects on the different layers are selected.  I was asking if there's a shortcut to selecting (highlighting) all those layers that have selected objects.  I'm fairly sure there's no way to do this, but I was asking in case there was a way I didn't know about.  I used a work-around, manually selecting and sorting the layers into the groupings I wanted, so I'm good now. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show what you want.

And what you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a simple file to demonstrate what I mean.  The first image shows the result of box-selecting multiple items on the artboard.  As you can see, many objects, but only one layer, can be selected this way.  The second image shows what I was hoping could be accomplished with a command or script:  All layers with selected objected are highlighted.  This has to be done manually, click by click, in the Layers panel, as far as i know.  Which is what I did to accomplish the task, but if there's a script or something, it would be handy for next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the screenshots. But that's not your goal, is it?

1. What do you want to do with the selected layers afterwards?
  2. And what should happen to the unselected paths of a selected layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixxxelschubser, once the layers are selected, it's possible to drag the whole kit-n-kaboodle to anywhere in the Layers panel all at once, rather than having to click-click-click a hundred layers that don't happen to be arranged next to each other in the list but should be.  I often want them sorted according to their locations on the artboard, so that's why selecting from there would be ideal. That way they come into AE in a logical order for animation. That's the only reason, I just want a faster, easier way to sort the Layers panel.  Maybe some day! 😉  For now I'll click-click-click... its' not that bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably I'm wrong, but as per your description it is more than clear what you want to do: Select a certain number of objects on the scratch area that are located on different layers. Expected result: Each layer that is involved in that selection should be highlighted in the Layers panel for various reasons. Is that right so far?

If so, that is not possible at the moment and I doubt that you can do it with a script. It's a valid request, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's it.  I often have files with many many layers that I need to organize in certain ways to make them easier to animate in After Effects.  I didn't think it was possible but asked because sometimes I find that at some point a feature was added that could make my work easier, so it never hurts to ask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… many many layers that I need to organize in certain ways …

By @kalibahlu

Are there fixed rules for this? Or do you always have to make momentary decisions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just my own preference according to my plans for animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kurt Gold 

You guessed right. There is only ever one active layer in a script. That's why I asked how to proceed after marking the layers. Perhaps there are alternatives ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines