• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

selecting an object that is behind another object

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2008 Sep 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a keyboard command for selecting objects that are behind other objects in the stacking order? or is the only way to select them from layers menu? i'm always selecting the object that is on top of what I want to select, and wonder if there is a keyboard command to "click down" to the object i'm aiming for
thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been no change in the select options, Arthur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like tools to have have somewhat narrow uses, so although I see where Wade is going it's not what I'd like. My CAD program has a lasso tool that selects everything completely inside it. If you hold down the option key it selects everything it touches. This works the best for me. The selection-by-attribute is handled by a menu called "custom selection." It gives you just about every attribute to either select or deselect: color, stroke, thickness, shape type, etc. You then press "select" and it then selects everything in the window with that combination. Wade's idea could do the same operation on a collection of lassoed objects, rather than an entire viewing window. This would be an improvement for me. Of course it will never happen in the near future. Absent any real competition in the graphics design market, Adobe will only make superficial changes in their "upgrades." The only recourse is for users to stop upgrading until Adobe sees a real hit in their revenue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been wonder too if there is a way to select an object that is directly behind another object, and to do this quickly, without changing the stacking order, and without turning off sublayers. FreeHand's solution is simple. You control click. Is there anything this simple in AI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select menu, Next Object Below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next Object Below from the Select menu selects the next object below in the document object stack, not below the selection's position. Next Object Below from the cursor menu (rightClick on Windows) selects the next object directly below at the click location.

Both are way too tedious and awkward.

KCFI, always state the version of Illustrator you are asking about.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That works, but three clicks to select an anchor point of the object below! I guess that's how it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows Illustrator CS3... you select an object, right click, choose "Select," and you have four choices to choose from.

Keyboard command way... Select object, then Alt+Ctrl+[ (selects next above object) or Alt+Ctrl+] (selects next below object). (It's a long process though.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can do it with Ctrl key and click to switch between objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's Simple. What you do is select the object above, hold the Command key, and press down once (you will see a little arrow next to the cursor, then hover over the object behind (while still holding the command key down) and press again... It selects the object below. It's somewhat limited use because it selects only one object behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines