• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Separate artboards into single AI files?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a magazine type spread I'm working on for client. I made an a file with about 18 artboards. Everything was working great until it wasn't. Illstrator is being way too slow only on that file. I'd like to separate threm all into their own files so I can work in peace. I tried using the libraries but it saves everything as "artwork" and I'm no longer able to edit my assets unless I save single asset one by one and sometimes that doesn't work. I tried clicking "Save" and no "illustrator options" pannel shows up. "Save as" greys out "Save as different artboards". Any advice? Project is due by tomorrow at latest.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

I think you might need to trash your prefs, no reason this shouldn't work.

But, if it doesn't work, try using export for screens and choose pdf...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get this?

I get it with Save, Save As and Save a Copy...

Save.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might need to trash your prefs, no reason this shouldn't work.

But, if it doesn't work, try using export for screens and choose pdf...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the export settings that show with with file manager confused with the illustrator options pannel LOL. Thanks sm for trying to help a newb. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, A little different question but I'm trying to work with a 16-page stock brochure template which downloaded with all pages on one artboard and can't figure out how to separate the pages.

Can you direct me to how I would do that without creating a new document (which I assume is the point of using a stock template, not having to start from scratch).

Thank you, Rachel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is not adequate to create this kind of design at all.

You can create new artboards using the artboard tool and/or the artboard panel.  And then put the pages onto them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create documents from scratch I use InD but this stock template came in Ai.

I did notice that the stock InD templates also look like all the pages are on one artboard but I didn't want to waste a credit to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe InDesign is far better suited for creating multiple page publications. Adobe Illustrator will allow someone to put mulitple "pages" of a document on multiple artboards. But the approach is very limited compared to InDesign. Illustrator and Photoshop are great for creating and editing individual visual elements to place into a multi-page publication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,  when I create documents from scratch I use InD but this stock template came in Ai.

I did notice that the stock InD templates also look like all the pages are on one artboard but I didn't want to waste a credit to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably less work in the end to re-create this in InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is only a single artboard in the Artboards panel, you can create rectangles that have the size of the page behind each page and while selected choose Object > Artboards > Convert to Artboards. You can then remove the original large artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This works. I think it is still preferable to start InD but this was a great learning experience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear you've got it working. And nice to see we all agree on the InDesign solution 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines