• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Seriously, Adobe. Stop messing with my workflow. Pantone swatch library missing 2024

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since licensing issues with Pantone, the swatchbooks have been absent for 2023 and 2024. I backed up my 2022 Pantone library, imported it into 2023 and worked just fine. I come to my computer, found illustrator updated to 2024 without my prompt, and the library is gone. I import my swatch backup library and the library appears, but there are no colors available. It's just blank. I am now reverting to a previous version but this is highly frustrating as I come in to my office and need to do rush work only to have to deal with this. In the world of print and design, the pantone swatch book is essential. I don't care if I have to load a back up, but the back up NEEDS to work.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see issues loading a Pantone Solid swatches library in Illustrator. Are you sure that your backup is not corrupted? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reverted to 2023 and the Pantone library works so I'm fairly certain the back up is not corrupted. I'll be more than happy using 2023 and several months down the line I may see if the issue sorted itself out so I don't have any more surprises in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make sure you have them working in 2024 and future versions:

Go the Illustrator 2023 Application folder > Presets > (your language folder) > Swatches > Color Books > and make a copy of PANTONE+ Solid Coated.acb and PANTONE+ Solid Uncoated.acb 

Keep them in a safe place and copy them to the same location in the Illustrator 2024 application folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@williamr13652308  schrieb:

and several months down the line I may see if the issue sorted itself out 

It won't. Pantone doesn't want their libraries in Adobe apps anymore. So you should make copies of the libraries.

BTW: this forum is 95% volunteers. We're trying to help. We can't change the apps or policies or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just wanted to add to the conversation, but hopefully this may be of some use:

First off, turn off auto-update and check your settings to make sure that Adobe isn't removing older versions of your programs. You'll need these to pull any Pantone libraries pre 2022 (PS + Illutrator + InDesign should all come pre-loaded).  I'm just going to copy/paste what I wrote to my IT guy because my company isn't going to pay something that already has a workaround:

1. Go into Applications + Adobe app 2024 or 2023 that is missing the Pantone library
  2. Go to Presets
  3. Create folder and name it Color Books (enter admin credentials to edit name if needed)
  4. Got into an Adobe app older than 2022 (I used Photoshop 2020)
  5. Go to Presets
  6. Go to Color Books, find files all starting with PANTONE.
  7. Highlight all pantone files +  Copy
  8. Return to your Color Books folder in the 2023/2024 app and Paste to upload files into folder
  9. Open up application
  10. For Illustrator, user will need to import library section by section. In swatch palette, open up menu, go to Open Swatch Library, and Scroll down to Other Library (very bottom)
  11.  Find your Library (or folder, which should be called Color Books)
  12.  Pantone libraries should now appear. Highlight and select (remember, you can't select multiple libraries at once, it can only be one at a time)
  13.  Library should now be active in your workspace. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: This method does not make the libraries permanent. This only makes them temporarily active when you are using the application, so everytime you shut down and restart, you need to repeat this method. It sucks, there's probably a more effecient way of going about it, but it beats having to pay for a product that doesn't function at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Pantone color books in my installation of Adobe Illustrator are not affected by shutting down and rebooting the computer. Further, they're not affected by point-release updates (such as the recent v28.3 update of Illustrator). I only need to copy/paste the ACB files into the appropriate color books program folder when installing a new whole version number update of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines