Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape builder tool is constantly disabled

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have an issue with the shape builder tool, it does not work at all. I've seen other posts related to this problem as well, but none helped me. I've tried several things but despite whatever I do the tool is disabled and I can't select it. Could someone help me?

Thank you in advance

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

That window is not the toolbar -- it is a menu for customising the toolbar.

In your screenshot you can see a blue highlight in your toolbar when you hover over shape builder in the customisation window. Thar means it is already in the toolbar and cannot be added. Click where the highlight indicates, or press Shift+M.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 162257.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the objects selected, right?

Please show a screenshot of your artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made two random examples to show you and I have included in the screenshot the tool as well so you can see that it is not clickable - it is disabled.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That window is not the toolbar -- it is a menu for customising the toolbar.

In your screenshot you can see a blue highlight in your toolbar when you hover over shape builder in the customisation window. Thar means it is already in the toolbar and cannot be added. Click where the highlight indicates, or press Shift+M.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 162257.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Omg thank you! It was so simple and yet I didn't notice it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now was able to enable it by pressing Shift+M which is the shortcut for this tool. So ok problem solved, but I am still unable to select it without the shortcut and that applies to other tools as well. I would still like to know why this is happening.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know how to use the Shape Builder tool?  Here's a old tutorial I produced: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2011/12/geared-up-for-shape-builder/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link you provided. I am familiar with Illustrator and I have used this tool in the past. I recently purchased this plan and version of AI, so I don't know what the problem could be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines